Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Getting Rid Of The Pacifier

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 234 Total Views
My daughter is 16 months and I really need help trying to get her to part ways with her Pacifier. Any suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

We waited till my sons turned two, at 16 months he was emotionaly still attatched to it and so not ready for it to be gone. But what we did was as we got closer to the age of two we stop replacing the broken or lost binkis till finally we were down to just one left. and we lost that one and never looked back. Cold turkey was so easy for him. But he also did started rubbing his ears for comfort or my ears after that. 

Clasane90
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Oh okay. My daughter is attached as well. I just feel like she isn't ready to let loose and I don't want her to constantly cry because she wants it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

you can also limit the time she has it to just sleep times ..we did that around 18 months he didnt seem to mind

Clasane90
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Thats a good idea. She really looks for it more at nap time and bed time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LGinWI
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM
We got rid of the paci around 18 months. We weaned our daughter down to just nap and bed time. Then just bed time to nothing at all. Lots of extra cuddles, but it only really took us a couple weeks. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clasane90
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I think thats what I'll start doing. Thank u

Quoting LGinWI:

We got rid of the paci around 18 months. We weaned our daughter down to just nap and bed time. Then just bed time to nothing at all. Lots of extra cuddles, but it only really took us a couple weeks. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Shortly after her 1st bday I made them disappear. (Not entirely though, I hid them in a box in her room. LOL) She asked for her paci one or twice that day, and maybe once a few days after. I'm so happy it was a good transition with her. She used it 24/7!! Good luck!!!

CafeMom Tickers

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The pacifier was the only thing that comforted my daughter during teething, so we didn't take it away until she was 2. But when we did take it away, we went cold turkey - we took all the pacifiers, cleaned them, and put them in a bag in the back of her closet (where she couldn't see or reach them). The first day or two was a bit of a struggle because she would ask for it (not out of discomfort or anything) and we'd say no and she'd get upset. But after that 1 or 2 days, it was never a problem.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Oh, I forgot to add that we, too, limited the pacifier to just nap and bedtime at around 20 months. And then we read a book one night where a girl went to bed and didn't have a pacifier, DD pointed it out and I explained that she was a big girl and didn't need it anymore. She then wanted to stop using it at sleep times too, to be like the girl in her book! 2 years later, she still points it out and asks if I remember that night.

Reese2010727
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM
My son weaned himself at 16 months...i believe in baby led weaning as long as it's not a ridiculous age..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN