Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Ear thermometer

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 95 Total Views

I bought this thermometer: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15339236&CAWELAID=1542107647&pla=plab&cagpspn=pla because we had the under tongue/armpit/rectal type but it was always showing like 96-97 degrees on everyone, so assumed it was crap. I've been checking my 6 month olds temp because she's teething and I'm paranoid I'm going to mistake sickness for teething. It shows her temp as 99.2, but mine is 101.5...It did the same thing 2 weeks ago, except hers was normal and mine was over 101

I don't feel sick or even hot at all, I feel like I just can't trust any thermometer! What could be the problem?  I'm pretty sure it had directions for use for different ages including adults, but I can't find them.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
rory10
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Go to the manufacture's website to look for the manual. The temps different places are different ranges on what's normal so check on that. I know on my ear one an attachment can come off to scan the forehead, which has a different normal then the ear.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Normal body temperature range is different depending on where the temp is taken.  Some people also run a little hotter then others, you may be one of them.  Here is some info I found:

What is normal body temperature?

Most people think of a "normal" body temperature as an oral temperature of 98.6°F (37°C). This is an average of normal body temperatures. Your temperature may actually be 1°F (0.6°C) or more above or below 98.6°F (37°C). Also, your normal body temperature changes by as much as 1°F (0.6°C) throughout the day, depending on how active you are and the time of day. Body temperature is very sensitive to hormone levels and may be higher or lower when a woman is ovulating Click here to see more information. or having her menstrual period.

A rectal Click here to see more information. or ear (tympanic membrane) temperature reading is slightly higher than an oral temperature reading. A temperature taken in the armpit is slightly lower than an oral temperature reading. The most accurate way to measure body temperature is to take a rectal temperature.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM
We ended up getting a forehead one. Our ear one sucked and aren't all that good on infants because their ears are so small it's hard to get a good reading
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM

We honestly never used a thermometer, so I don't know.

I do know that we have a lot of nerve endings in our lips, so a quick kiss to the forehead will let you know whether it's warmer than it should be, but it won't tell you actual body temperature of course.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement