• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Feeding

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 259 Total Views

What was your experience? 

What advice to you have for the new moms out there?

Any helpfull Websites or groups to join? 

For me I lasted six weeks, but I didnt know then what I know now. Even the littles drop of breastmilk is better then none I say. And I really do believe everyone should try to breastfeed.  And the breastfeeding group on here is amazing and so is Kellymom.com

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life 

NEED TO KNOW FACTS: TESTICULAR CANCER
✔ One man is diagnosed every hour
✔ One man dies everyday
✔ Can strike at any age, however, most common in the 15-35 age range
✔ Number one killing cancer of young men
✔ MOST CURABLE CANCER, When Caught Early!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I've been very lucky to have had a great breastfeeding experience.  Dd is 2.5 and still going strong.  The first few weeks were a little rough though.  I had a lot of pain and cracked bleeding nipples.  I saw two different lactation consultants who both said her latch looked great.  There were a few days there where I considered giving up.  I'm so glad that I didn't though because after about 3 vweeks the pain went away aand it's been smooth sailing ever since.  My advice to other moms is just to stick with it, those first few weeks can be really hard, but it is totally worth it in the end.  I'd say my most valuble breastfeeding resources are the breastfeeding group here on cm and kellymom.com.  The book "So That's What They're There For" is also an excellent resource.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I am a first time mom & am breastfeeding my now 7 month old baby. The best thing I did was educate myself on the subject while I was pregnant. I read a bunch of books, joined this site for the breastfeeding group (which is amazing) & became familiar with Kellymom.com. It amazes me how much I've learned & how much bad information is out there. I feel like I hear somthing everyday that other mom's think about breastfeeding that is soooooooo untrue. And don't get me started on the bad information your dr will give you.

Barabell
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I read several books, and doing it is really different than what I read in the material. Like they said newborns would instictively know what to do, and the books said not to use binkies. But my son didn't know how to latch and binkies did help teach him how to. None of the information I read informed me about the situation I ended up facing, and I felt like a failure. Fortunately there were some great lactation nurses at the hospital that helped me through it.

Rushn311
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am 31, pregnant with my 3rd and I am gooing to give it a shot for the first time. I plan on pumping and will read up on books.

Eliots_momma
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I'm 10 months in and going strong. It wasn't always easy but rarely is something worth doing.

My advice is to go with you gut, get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions, and Do your own research.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I had a lot of trouble breastfeeding my son.. it didn't work out for a number of reasons. As a result of his formula, he began having serious reactions to the ingredients and now has life-long food allergies. I made sure to breastfeed my daughter as much as I could- we quit around 7 months. I'd like to reach a year with this baby. 

newwifenmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I breastfed my son almost 20mts. The first few weeks were challenging as we were both adjusting to a new experience. The experience was not without pain but I stuck it through bc I made up my mind and I knew the pain and discomfort would be temporary and it was. Between 3-6/7mts were the best ever! After that he became a distracted BFer lol and wanted to do everything and BF at the same time. Still though it was a great bonding experience and he eventually outgrew the distaction stage and instead of me going to get him at feeding time, he started coming to me when he was ready which I thought was so sweet.

We conquered yeast, pain and a bad latch and I loved BFing and have no regrets and I'd do it all over again and if I ever have another child I plan to BF again for at least a year. Ending our BFing journey was bittersweet.

To all new moms I suggest trying it and giving it real effort because its worth it. Also have a good support team, it helps when/if things get difficult. It also helps to be properly educated about BFing. Both BFing groups on here are excellent!

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I only had one bad breastfeeding experience. My son was very diffucult to nurse and I eventually gave up. My other children I had a positive experience with.

Turtledoves
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I had a great experience. I got thrush multiple times, nearly mastitis, and clogged ducts but I got through all that and still am breastfeeding my 21 month old. 

Dr sears has great resources and So Thats What They're For book is great too.

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I couldnt breast feed.I had to have a biopsy done.It affected my ability to breast feed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)