• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep When the Baby Sleeps, and Other Advice To Ignore

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
  • 42080 Total Views
2 moms liked this

"Sleep when the baby sleeps." "Always sleep when the baby sleeps!" "Oh, you can just sleep when the baby sleeps."

I heard it so many times, and I tried to follow the advice, I really did, but you know what? Napping in the middle of the day has always made me feel cranky and miserable, and that didn't change just because I'd had a baby.

Laying down, closing my eyes, and trying to relax for an indeterminate amount of time--could be two hours, could be twenty minutes and then surprise! diaper blow-out!--is ANTI-relaxing for me. It's like "Here, go meditate in this room and never mind the ticking bomb-shaped box in the corner, it probably won't go off for at least an hour." No thank you. I'd rather be doing anything else.

I know I can't be alone in feeling better about the world if I can use the baby's downtime for something productive. I'm not even talking productive like cleaning the kitchen or composing a sonnet, but just doing something as basic to survival as checking my email and/or taking a shower. After my second kid was born and the pregnancy weight was hanging around like a stray cat at a deli, I even used my baby's naptime to pop in an exercise DVD. Flailing in place and scoring a few crunches and leg lifts did way more for my well-being than a fitful one-eye-open nap on the couch, for sure.

And back during those early days when Baby was able to snooze on my chest all warm and sweet-smelling and snuffly and new? Why would I give up enjoying those fleeting moments for stupid old sleep?

Besides, who needs naps when there's caffeine, amirite? 

Are/Were you able to sleep when the baby sleeps? What other advice did you get from everyone and then straight-up ignore?

Photo © iStockphoto.com/Mirko Pernjakovic
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I wasn't but pure exhaution got the best of me so I was able to finally do this with my 5th. I do agree with the advice though because being too tired makes it too hard to wake up at night when you have to function and take care of a newborn lol but now at 3 months I can tough it out because I don't have to get up at night, we co-sleep and he just nurses and we both fall back asleep :)

Pandapanda
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:47 PM

"Give your baby rice cereal"

"It's okay to just let that baby cry"

"Stop doing XYZ, you're spoiling your baby"

Turtledoves
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Sometimes I was able to sleep when baby slept. As she got older though, I wasn't able to anymore. When she was first born I was in survival mode so it was pretty easy usually to pass out. If it wasn't, I'd run around and do a few chores until I was exhausted!

MissBrooke214
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I'm right there with you! I see Elliot's naptime as time to mentally recharge, but not necessarily lay down. I didn't require a lot of sleep before baby and I think that's helped a bit too in not 'needing' to feel like I should be sleeping. Recently though I remember coming home from work, my short day even (7-1) and making the conscious decision to nap rather than eat :) 

hapababies
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Don't wear your baby, he will never learn how to (insert any of the following here)
Self calm
Crawl
Walk
Be independent
Be held by anyone but you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I did sleep when he slept or just rest. Not like he took naps much 10 minutes 2 times a day lol 

Rushn311
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I always sleep when baby sleeps. I am a napper  and I need it. I sleep horribly at night and when I have a baby again, I am always on alert, so sleep is  even worse. when they nap, I surely will nap too!

powow65
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Oh heck yeah! I napped some times when DD was napping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I always napped when he did if I could! He was up every 1 to 2 hours day and night for several months.

Advice I did ignore
Don't cloth diaper
Don't wear your baby
Don't put baby in your bed
Don't breasted
Let your baby cry
Put rice cereal in his bottle
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maria1613
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM
I was able to. But now when i am home during nap time, i usually have way too much coffee pumping through me that i can't sleep
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)