Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

How I Feel About Those Staged Monthly Baby Photos

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
  • 41941 Total Views

One thing I sometimes regret not doing--at least until I realize I'd never be able to keep it up, and then I don't feel so bad--is taking those staged monthly photos of my boys to record how fast they grew during that first year. I love seeing updates from friends who take pictures with their babies sitting in the same chair or with the same stuffed animal, or even with one of those "I am 3 months old" stickers slapped to the belly of a white onesie. I remember once seeing a collection of photos of a little girl wearing the same adult-sized gown every year starting from age 1 until she'd grown into the dress at 18. Genius. I always wanted to do something like that and then just...didn't.

It's not like I don't already take a million other photos of my kids; I have plenty of evidence of what they looked like not just at milestone ages but also at random times like 8 months, 4 days, 2 hours, and 16 minutes old exactly, with pureed squash in their hair. There's just something different and...special, I guess, about having a consistent set-up every single month (or week, or even day, if you're really ambitious).

Why do I get such a kick out of these photos, even when they've become so common they're now cliche? Maybe it's just my order-loving brain responding to the way the ritual brings structure to the chaos that is raising a baby. Or maybe it's something deeper, more emotional. Maybe it's that they grow up so, so fast I can hardly believe my eyes. Pic or it didn't happen.

Do/Did you take monthly photos of your baby?

Photo © iStockphoto.com/Klubovy

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I didn't get consistant with it until #5! I tried with my fourth but didn't get very far. Granted, we are only 3 months in so I have plenty time to miss a month or four lol So far, I did one week, a random 3 week lol, one month, two month & three month. I am using the same outfit set/sleepers that is white with blue monkeys and taking it with the blue monkey my parents bought our 3rd (Luke gave it to Sam now and got a brown monkey) My dad loved monkeys and now that he is gone, they are even more special to us.

Pandapanda
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I've never really done them!

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Hoevegirl1986
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

yes i did every month we did a new pic :-)

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I take tons of pictures of dd but we never did a monthly picture in the same spot or anything like that.  It's an awesome idea though.  If I ever have another, I may give it a try.

Turtledoves
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I do a monthly picture of DD, and put all of the new things she learned and does now. I think it's a great way to watch her grow and see what she did month to month - much more detailed than a boring baby book. She just turned 21 months old yesterday, we've been doing it for a year now and I love the picture collection we have. I'd love to print a book of them one day all in a row.

Hoevegirl1986
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Elliot 1week old

1 month i don't have his 1month pic on my pc

2months

3 months

4 months

5months

6months

7 months

8 months

9 months

10months

11months i don't have his 11month pic on my pc

12months

and this is what he looks like today on the 4th he'll be 21 months

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I took pics all the time, but not the staged ones each month.

powow65
by Kim on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Yes & no, had some when she was a new born 9pound baby!
Than some a month or two later than at 6months than 8 to 9montjs than 1years old & 2years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Yes I took pictures of both of my kids at every month until they were a year. I put those in their scrapbook. I obviously take more pictures  after but not when specifically they are 14 months and so on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement