Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your thoughts about parenting methods change after you became a parent?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 209 Total Views

I know mine did.  Before dd was born I never would have thought I would breastfeed over a year, let alone over two years.  I also felt very strongly that babies shouldn't sleep in their parents beds, that they needed to be taught to sleep alone at a very early age.  Once dd was here all my ideas about parenting went right out the window and I just did what felt right and keeping her close to me even at night felt right.  What things changed for you after becoming a parent?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

The same exact things as you. I always knew I would breastfeed but breastfeeding has led me into more attachment parenting. I also co-sleep because that makes it so much easier while breastfeeding. It makes more sense to me now to keep your babies close to you while they are little. It's much more natural that way.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Not really. I always felt that a some what ap parenting style would be how we would parent. And we really have stuck with it. We co slept and bed shared I do a lot of the same things my parents did. But I have learned a few things I will do differently with our next as far as breast feeding and such
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Definitely! 

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Some things changed. Others didn't.
Turtledoves
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely. Before a baby, I said I would never cosleep, I'd never breastfeed past one year, they'd go to sleep in their crib on time, etc. Haha!!

As soon as my baby was born, my ignorant thoughts were gone and mommy instinct took over. DD was fine sleeping in the crib sometimes, but my instincts kept telling me she was too far away and wouldn't let me sleep until she was close. She just turned 21 months and still breastfeeds often. The crib is currently sidecarred to the bed but it's more of her book shelf than bed! 

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Not much changed. I didn't really have an opinion on co-sleeping/bed sharing. I didn't think I'd do it, and I did, but I wasn't against it. I didn't think I'd let her use the pacifier so long, but it was the only thing that soothed her teething. I wasn't going to take that away from her.

I feel like there were things that changed, but I can't think of any of them!

Eliots_momma
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastfeeding opened me up to so many ap ideas. I was going to wean at 6 months (bc there is no benefit to baby any longer lol), I wasn't going to Co sleep, I would vax, I didn't really care about homeopathic remedies, the list continues . Instincts took over and I can't imagine doing things like I had planned.
HisSweetheart07
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM
yup = things always will change. You can plan your whole life for something and when it finally happens, you can just feel if it's right or not.
Barabell
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Of course they did. I can't think of specific examples, but I've grown as a person by becoming a mother.

aidensmomma508
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Ya a lot of things were different. I didn't want him to use a pacifier but he did because he was in the nicu I felt guilty then He liked it so I let him keep it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)