Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Our Number One Must-Have Baby Item

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies
  • 46221 Total Views

If you were going to be stranded on a deserted island with your baby and had to pick one single, solitary must-have baby item, what would it be? Assuming the island somehow had an ample supply of food and diapers (and would a wireless connection be too much to ask?), my answer is easy: a cotton muslin swaddling blanket.

Image via AdenandAnais.com

When my first son was born, a friend gave us a four-pack of Aden + Anais swaddle blankets and I remember feeling like a Very Fancy Lady because they were EXPENSIVE. Something like twelve bucks apiece. Who did we think we were? Kardashians?

It turns out they were worth every penny (even though someone else bought them for us). My husband has been known to chase down random pregnant women so he can share with them all the wonders of the muslin blanket: You can use it as a nursing cover! A burp rap! A sun shade for the stroller! And of course the best swaddler ever.

Image by agirlandaboy

When we got ours five years ago, there were only a handful of patterns to choose from, but these days they're so popular you can get them in a variety of colors and designs and from a handful of different manufacturers. I'm kind of bummed that our original four blankets are still as good as new (if not better because they get softer in the wash) because I'd love an excuse to shop through the great new patterns. I guess I'll just have to buy a set for all of my pregnant friends instead. 

Do you swaddle your baby? Do you use cotton muslin blankets or have you found something that works better?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Moby wrap. That thing was a life saver. My son hated being swaddled he would wiggle and scream every time the nurses did it and was the most Walmart when we undid it. He didn't mind the swaddle feeling if he was in the moby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by Kim on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:33 AM
The crib. & 2nd, the stroller!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Crib! The baby needs a place to sleep

MamaJane
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM
A sling of some sort. And no I never swaddled my babies.
aidensmomma508
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Stroller for walks or binkey

Pandapanda
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids HATED being swaddled. They'd scream and cry until they were choking or losing color in their faces! And my son would always get his arms out, too. They were the type of babies to sprawl out.. and still are. bed hogs!

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

A wrap or sling.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM

We did swaddle, but we used the SwaddleMe brand blankets. Loved them.

However, my one item would have to be a (or lots of) pacifier(s). The ONLY thing that soothed her during teething was the pacifier and I wouldn't survive on an island with a baby that couldn't be soothed during teething!

Barabell
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I did swaddle him for awhile, but I just used a regular receiving blanket. He was very active from the day he was born, and so we didn't swaddle him for long.

Turtledoves
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Baby carrier or a baby video monitor (assuming the island has eletric? Lol) both are my must haves.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement