Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Chew on This!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 70 Replies
  • 68772 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Teething. Ugh. The crying, the drooling, the BITING. Most baby milestones are bittersweet, but teething is pretty much the pits all around. For everyone. Within a two-mile radius. Poor little muffins (and their parents and siblings and neighbors).

Even with a dab of soothing Orajel--my personal hero in all teething battles--most babies still like to gnaw on things during this magical time of weeping and gnashing. Mine is always after things he really shouldn't have in his mouth (e.g., television remotes, his brother's Hot Wheels, the cat), but we've also had some success with more traditional teething rings, you know that kind filled with some sort of space-aged gel that get nice and cold in the freezer?

We got our teething rings as hand-me-downs, and although they work well enough, I can't help wondering if we're missing out on something miraculous by not trying something new. So I'm curious: What is your baby cutting his teeth on? A frozen washcloth? A stuffed animal? A stylish handmade wooden teething block? A stick from the yard? Your nipples? (Ow.) Whiskey? (I hope not.) And will someone please tell me what's so amazing about Sophie the Giraffe, because I just don't get it.

Image © iStockphoto.com/hartphotography1

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My grandson is teething.He chews on anything and everything. My dd has a teething ring and teething tablets which hekp somewhat

Rushn311
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My babies never  really teethed badly. I gave them chewing toys and some were kept in the fridge(teething rings).

Barabell
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM

My son mainly used teething rings, and I usually kept one in the fridge.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My second son did a little too much chewing on my nipples at first. But I was able to get him to stop & we still made it until he was 2 with breastfeeding.

Otherwise my boys chewed on anything handy - and I gave a dose of Motrin when they were really crabby.

goddess99
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I teething elephant, and those water teethers you put in the fridge.

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

My dd was never bad with teething.  I think she has a high tolerance for pain like I do.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

They had toys that were for teeth and they pretty much chewed on everything, especially their books LOL.  My oldest chewed on his crib.

ceciliam
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I use to have the teethers filled with water that you would put in the fridge. Luckily, my son breezed through teething.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM
My son is a hard teether. A Baltic amber necklace has been the biggest help for him (all he has to do is wear it). We tried oragel and that didn't work very long. We used glands teething tablets, frozen teething rings and dill pickles.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My kids just liked to chew on their toys.  They never chewed on things that were designated for teething, lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement