Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

The Best Stroller for Your New Baby

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies
  • 57207 Total Views
1 mom liked this

When it comes to baby gear, there are so many options these days that it's easy to become overwhelmed. One of the toughest things for me to research was strollers, because it turns out there's so much more to them than just the basic function of whether they're able to carry a baby from one place to another. First and foremost, I recommend having a stroller that lets you pop the car seat onto it, so you'll never have to wake a sleeping baby transferring him between the stroller and the car. You will obviously want something that steers well and rides smoothly too, but you might also be looking for something that folds up compactly, can be opened and closed with one hand (while you're holding Baby in the other), and is lightweight enough that you don't have to send up an emergency flare for help every time you want to get it in or out of your car.

At least, those were all the things I was looking for in a stroller. Also, I didn't want it to cost several hundred dollars. It sounds like a lot to ask, I know, but we found all that--and more!--in a hand-me-down stroller that was pretty much just a wheeled frame for a car seat. We're using the Graco frame, which retails for about $75, but there are a handful of similar stroller frames out there as well. (Make sure the one you choose is compatible with your car seat, since you want Baby locked in there safely.) They're low-profile, sturdy, and the fact that they're gender neutral makes them the perfect thing to hold onto for additional children, whether yours or someone else's. I recommend it to all parents-to-be.

Aside from all the great features listed above, I also really like how easy air travel is with the stroller frame. Our best discovery was that if we hold the baby in a carrier and then check his car seat with our luggage, we can then use the empty stroller frame as a cart to hold our carryons, which can get a little (A LOT) out of hand if you're the type to pack a ridiculously massive just-in-case diaper bag for a short one-hour flight. Ahem.

The stroller frame will be useable as long as your baby is in his infant car seat, and after that, you can jump back into the crazy world of stroller research having a better idea of what you're looking for. If you use your stroller for shopping, having a big storage basket is great. If it's for running or hiking, a good jogging stroller will make all the difference. If you only need to go a few blocks to the park, a cheapo, no-frills umbrella stroller will be more than enough. And, hey,  maybe you'll have a kid who hates being strapped into a stroller and prefers to walk, in which case you can save the money you would have spent on a stroller to buy some extra patience, because, holy cow, toddlers take FOR.EV.ER to walk anywhere.

What kind of stroller do you have for your baby? What do you love about it? 

Image via ToyRUs.com

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alaskadreams
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I have a Baby Trend stroller.  And I LOVE it!!  Love how the baby carrier that came with it had a triangle at the top so I could carry LO anyway that was comfy for my arm.  Also DH is 6'6" and the stroller hand rail...? moves up and down so if he's pushing it he can walk comfortably behind it and then when I push it and can move it back down for my smaller size.

goddess99
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I don't remember the name but my fav features were a big basket underneath to hold a bunch of stuff and 2 cup holders and tray, with hidden storage in and around the handle bar.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I didn't look for a stroller as my parents bought us a basic stroller, but the carseat fit on it, so that was nice.  Could use it when they got older too.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Our's had the cup holders and hidden storage as well.  That was nice.

Quoting goddess99:

I don't remember the name but my fav features were a big basket underneath to hold a bunch of stuff and 2 cup holders and tray, with hidden storage in and around the handle bar.

4kidz916
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My kids are past the stroller stage but I always made sure it was a stroller that pushed easily. 

GwenMB
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I loved the Duo Glider when my boys were both little. Tons of room underneath, two cup holders for mom, two for each boy, hidden storage at the handle bar, pushed nicely, folded easily.  It took up space in the car, but not too bad, considering it was a double stroller.

dusky_rose
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM

We were going to get one of those 3 in one stroller/car seat/base strollers when our son was little, but we ended up getting a regular stroller from a work friend.

TerriC
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM

When we used one, it was a Graco double stroller.  Had a 1 year old and a newborn.  I loved the stroller, my friend is using it now and she likes it as well.

Bmat
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I no longer have babies, and I don't remember the brand name of the stroller, but I was happy with mine- the seat would open backward, and the older toddler could sit on the folded back part or stand on the back axle of the stroller when the seat was up. We couldn't do this for miles, but for quick visits to the mall it worked fine.

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I had a Graco travel system, which I loved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement