Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

The Best Stroller for Your New Baby

Posted by   + Show Post

When it comes to baby gear, there are so many options these days that it's easy to become overwhelmed. One of the toughest things for me to research was strollers, because it turns out there's so much more to them than just the basic function of whether they're able to carry a baby from one place to another. First and foremost, I recommend having a stroller that lets you pop the car seat onto it, so you'll never have to wake a sleeping baby transferring him between the stroller and the car. You will obviously want something that steers well and rides smoothly too, but you might also be looking for something that folds up compactly, can be opened and closed with one hand (while you're holding Baby in the other), and is lightweight enough that you don't have to send up an emergency flare for help every time you want to get it in or out of your car.

At least, those were all the things I was looking for in a stroller. Also, I didn't want it to cost several hundred dollars. It sounds like a lot to ask, I know, but we found all that--and more!--in a hand-me-down stroller that was pretty much just a wheeled frame for a car seat. We're using the Graco frame, which retails for about $75, but there are a handful of similar stroller frames out there as well. (Make sure the one you choose is compatible with your car seat, since you want Baby locked in there safely.) They're low-profile, sturdy, and the fact that they're gender neutral makes them the perfect thing to hold onto for additional children, whether yours or someone else's. I recommend it to all parents-to-be.

Aside from all the great features listed above, I also really like how easy air travel is with the stroller frame. Our best discovery was that if we hold the baby in a carrier and then check his car seat with our luggage, we can then use the empty stroller frame as a cart to hold our carryons, which can get a little (A LOT) out of hand if you're the type to pack a ridiculously massive just-in-case diaper bag for a short one-hour flight. Ahem.

The stroller frame will be useable as long as your baby is in his infant car seat, and after that, you can jump back into the crazy world of stroller research having a better idea of what you're looking for. If you use your stroller for shopping, having a big storage basket is great. If it's for running or hiking, a good jogging stroller will make all the difference. If you only need to go a few blocks to the park, a cheapo, no-frills umbrella stroller will be more than enough. And, hey,  maybe you'll have a kid who hates being strapped into a stroller and prefers to walk, in which case you can save the money you would have spent on a stroller to buy some extra patience, because, holy cow, toddlers take FOR.EV.ER to walk anywhere.

What kind of stroller do you have for your baby? What do you love about it? 

Image via ToyRUs.com

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-44):
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I had one of those and it was great!  It was so much easier to use than the regular bulky stroller.

Sisteract
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Quoting 4kidz916:

My kids are past the stroller stage but I always made sure it was a stroller that pushed easily. 

And was easy to into/out of the trunk!

matt_sara_mom
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM

We have a graco duo glider since I am hauling around two little ones. I love the room underneath and the cup holder! 

krys1025
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I have an Eddie Bauer travel system. I like how easy it fold up with only using one hand, plenty of storage and cup holders.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN