Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

At what age did/will you switch to cows milk?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I would much rather have raw cows milk but it's illegal in my state :(

Quoting mnmo3bb:

True, I am actually the opposite, I can handle whole milk but not less while pregnant. Wierd, huh? lol The milk we get now is like 4.2%. I can actually drink it while nursing without it causing the baby issues so that's nice.  

Quoting KelliansMom:

He is four now. Whole milk didn't agree with his tummy (my husband is the same way). His doctor was okay with it he was eating other things like Greek yogurt and cheese. You don't just need while milk for those important fats

Quoting mnmo3bb:

I started before 1 with my first two because their formula is milk based but have you talked to your ped about using 2% instead of whole? Babies need the extra fat until age 2 or 3 for brain development :) We always had 2% in the fridge for us and whole for the children. Now we just get whole from a farmer and we all drink it lol

Quoting KelliansMom:

11 months or so. As a new thing to try. He was okay with it. We did do 2% though not whole

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I actually had to take my daughter off milk itself. She can eat processed dairy like yogurts and cheese but we only use a splash of 2% on cereal. Other than that we get our dairy outside of drinking milk.

Quoting KelliansMom:

He is four now. Whole milk didn't agree with his tummy (my husband is the same way). His doctor was okay with it he was eating other things like Greek yogurt and cheese. You don't just need while milk for those important fats

Quoting mnmo3bb:

I started before 1 with my first two because their formula is milk based but have you talked to your ped about using 2% instead of whole? Babies need the extra fat until age 2 or 3 for brain development :) We always had 2% in the fridge for us and whole for the children. Now we just get whole from a farmer and we all drink it lol

Quoting KelliansMom:

11 months or so. As a new thing to try. He was okay with it. We did do 2% though not whole

Tylersmom119
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM
DD just turned 1 and I started giving her a sippy of whole milk the week before her birthday. She learned quickly to use the sippy and likes the milk. I did this b/c I am tired of pumping at work so now she'll have breastmilk when I am home (she will self wean when she is ready)but whole milk while she is at daycare 3 days a week.
Pandapanda
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM

18mos

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM
We never gave dd cows milk, other than yogurts and cheese after she was a year old. We continued nursing on demand and she drinks water in a cup. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM

It's so ridiculous considering what is legal! Of all things... smh... yea we get "unhomogenized, unpasteurized" lol love it! I think that is why I can still have 16 oz a day and it doesn't affect the baby like homogenized whole milk did lol

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting mnmo3bb:

True, I am actually the opposite, I can handle whole milk but not less while pregnant. Wierd, huh? lol The milk we get now is like 4.2%. I can actually drink it while nursing without it causing the baby issues so that's nice.  

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Quoting KelliansMom:

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I just like the taste better :) if the farm is clean I don't see what's so bad about it. But your right it's crazy what is legal and what's not food wise

Quoting mnmo3bb:

It's so ridiculous considering what is legal! Of all things... smh... yea we get "unhomogenized, unpasteurized" lol love it! I think that is why I can still have 16 oz a day and it doesn't affect the baby like homogenized whole milk did lol

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Quoting KelliansMom:

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I dont believe in waiting until theyre a year because of allergies-just my opinion and I know there are thousands who disagree with me. My philosophy is if theyre allergic, theyre going to be allergic at x months as well as at twelve. That said, I started letting them sip whatever I was drinking (milk and water only) when they started solid foods and when they can sit at the table and have a meal, they can have a glass of milk with it. (as in an ounce, maybe?) My kids nursed to a year for the first and past for the second so I didnt worry about their nutritional intake, plus my doctor knew all about it and said they were doing great.

For those who disagree, please don't bother quoting my comment-it's my opinion and I dont need strangers to tell me how 'stupid' I am or anything else. You raise your kids your way, I'll raise mine my way.

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

With cow milk I def agree! Esp since formula is cow milk based... I do want to know why or how (of it's even true...) about the other allergens... being exposed to peanuts too early for instance. My 3rd has a peanut allergy and he was exposed before a year but our older two had peanut butter before age 2 and didn't get it? Allergies suck, I think they say to wait until one for milk so you don't stop formula or because they could have a sensitivity, not an allergy. I think the word "allergy" is way too overused.

And I am sure plenty of people find my opinions dumb, oh well. You can't please everyone ;)

Quoting CatFishMom:

I dont believe in waiting until theyre a year because of allergies-just my opinion and I know there are thousands who disagree with me. My philosophy is if theyre allergic, theyre going to be allergic at x months as well as at twelve. That said, I started letting them sip whatever I was drinking (milk and water only) when they started solid foods and when they can sit at the table and have a meal, they can have a glass of milk with it. (as in an ounce, maybe?) My kids nursed to a year for the first and past for the second so I didnt worry about their nutritional intake, plus my doctor knew all about it and said they were doing great.

For those who disagree, please don't bother quoting my comment-it's my opinion and I dont need strangers to tell me how 'stupid' I am or anything else. You raise your kids your way, I'll raise mine my way.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM

1 year old. i started with a small cup daily at 11 months and and by 13 months had him on all cows milk. however, i don't recommend this to anyone. cow's milk is not the nutritious beverage that our govt would like us to believe. if you are breastfeeding, i advise you to continue to do so, otherwise consider switching to almond or coconut milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement