Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Play Dress-Up

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 32414 Total Views

Bringing home a new baby can make the days feel busy and hectic and overwhelming to the point that when you fall into bed at night you wonder where the hours went and how the time passed so quickly. And then there are the other days, which go soooooo sloooooowly and are, no disrespect to the babies of the world, really kind of boring. Babies keep us on our toes with all the feeding, changing, and wiping they require, but there isn't a lot of "playing" you can do with a newborn. Unless you count playing dress-up. Which I totally do. 

Chances are you were gifted more newborn-sized outfits than your baby can wear before growing out of them, so the only responsible thing to do is put your little one in absolutely everything at least once while you still have the chance. Don't wait to save the special clothes for a special occasion or you'll risk coming to the sad realization that your baby is already too big for the seersucker suit/fluffy party dress/monkey costume. Also, now is the time to cross-dress if you've always loved teeny tiny puff-sleeved dresses but ended up having two boys. Ahem.

Set up a mini-photoshoot in your home and just have fun. If you're really ambitious and can remember who gave you what outfits, send photos of your baby sporting those clothes to the people who gave them to you. (Email or Facebook is fine; don't make things more complicated than they have to be.) Also remember that these photos will be prime targets for your kid's wedding slideshow when the time comes. 

I like dressing my kids up no matter how old they are, but I especially love this activity for new moms because although you may not be looking your best in your milk-stained sweatpants and unshowered ponytail, your baby can be dressed to the nines and looking fabulous.

Do you play dress-up with your baby? Does your baby boy look as adorable in a dress as mine does? :)

Image © iStockphoto.com/WoodKey

by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM

we've never done this.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Does this remind anyone else of Cam on Modern Family? He is constantly dressing Lily up and doing photo shoots, and he did the same thing with Baby Joe this season!

OP, I have never done this. But in terms of using all those adorable tiny outfits one receives at showers, I can see how it might be a nice idea... Especially if baby is cooperative with having his/her clothes changed.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I never played dress up with my babies.  But there was an outfit or two that they never got to wear. :-(

Rushn311
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I would take monthly pictures of my babies, and dress them up really cute. My daughter  would wear  cute head  wraps and my son cute hats.

goddess99
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I have a girl, we've been playing dress up for the last 10+ years =)

jessicasmom1
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM

never done that

dusky_rose
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

How fun!

Bob192
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Yes, you will never have those moments again!!

Kmakksmom
by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Ha! Yep, we've played dress up before.
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on May. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I never dressed dd up just "to play dress up" but I did make an effort to use every outfit before she outgrew it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement