Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Is My Baby Eating Enough?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 52151 Total Views

When I brought my first baby boy home, I was really nervous. What if I didn't know what to do? What if he didn't eat enough? What if I didn't nurse him right? Did I need back up formula just in case? I was a typical first time mom, I'm sure. And those first few weeks were a bit stressful for me.

I spent a lot of time reading articles online and figuring out what was normal for a newborn to eat. And yep, I should have done that before baby came. I could have saved myself a lot of anxiety. Live and learn though, right?  I was a pro by the time baby number two came along. So that's a plus.

Through all of my reading and research I discovered that following my instincts was really important, but three specific things I learned saved my sanity more than anything else. So I thought I'd share them here.

1. Your newborn baby's stomach really small. It is the size of the top of your thumb from the knuckle up. Basically the size of a large grape.  That is really small! So my fear that baby wasn't eating enough when he just had an ounce or two of milk, was not necessary. That's all his little tummy could hold at one time!

2. The best way to measure breastfeeding input is output.  Basically, what goes in must come out. So keeping an eye on your baby's pee diapers will help you know if they are eating enough! An infant (after week one) should have 5-6 good and wet diapers in 24 hours and 2-4 poop diapers. (The reverse concern is something I heard from my formula feeding friends. They would worry that baby was eating too much.) 

3. Watch your baby. Are they happy and gaining weight? If yes, then they are eating enough.

Did you worry that your baby wasn't eating enough or too much? What advice would you give to a new mom about feeding her baby? 

Image © iStockphoto.com/ Rhienna Cutler

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pittymama
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

i ALWAYS worried about her eating too much. her growth spurts made me more anxious because she ate twice as much. 

proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Tfs
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
These are good tips. I never went through this so I don't have any advice to add.
MrsRobinson06
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM
I never worried about this. I just let baby tell me how much they want. If they are constantly finishing their bottle they could probably use more.
anotherhalf
by on May. 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I stressed the whole first year.  The day after he came home some nurse from the hospital came to my house (no idea why - I didn't request it as far as I can remember).  Whe weighed him and put a panic in me because she basically said I was starving him.  I went to his pedi and he was fine, but still that put a bit of fear in me.

katvixenstar
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

that's ridiculous!! the only person who came to see me after my first child was born was my doula. and she just wanted to make sure what my birth control options were *lol*

Quoting anotherhalf:

I stressed the whole first year.  The day after he came home some nurse from the hospital came to my house (no idea why - I didn't request it as far as I can remember).  Whe weighed him and put a panic in me because she basically said I was starving him.  I went to his pedi and he was fine, but still that put a bit of fear in me.

katvixenstar
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

i did have the whole "is my baby eating enough" anxiety after my first, and second. i just had to remind myself that as long as they were pooping and peeing enough, they were fine. :) and remember, breastfed babies don't poop as often as formula fed babies! or so i've heard, i never formula fed. :)

TheFamilyPants
by CafeMom Blogger on May. 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

WOW. That is just awful! I've never heard of such a thing! 

Quoting anotherhalf:

anotherhalf
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Being a first time mom I thought it was normal.  Dh and I were both working professionals with no type of "at risk" behaviors so I have no idea what she was doing there.  I remember she evaluated our home for appropriate baby stimulation items.  Maybe she thought we were someone else ;). 

Quoting TheFamilyPants:

WOW. That is just awful! I've never heard of such a thing! 

Quoting anotherhalf:

Kazmira222
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't stress because I FF him. I tried breast feeding for a couple weeks and I just couldn't do it. Ds is now 4 1/2 mo and is 20 lbs! He's definitely getting enough lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN