Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Sleeping Through the Night: Will It Ever Happen?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies
  • 37972 Total Views

Ah, baby sleep. It's one of the most unpredictable things about being a new mom, right?

As I type this, my two year-old is running around with more pizazz than that Energizer Bunny and I am on my 3rd cup of coffee. Why? Because, uh...she's STILL NOT SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!

When my first child was born I remember hearing from so many people that babies slept through the night sometime around 3 or 4 months old. I held on to the idea that if I could just get to that age, all would fall into place. So I tried everything. And then I tried even more things. I read books and consulted our pediatrician. I talked to all of my mom friends and begged for help. I considered a coffee I.V. drip.

We've followed most of the advice of sleep experts. We have a bedtime routine, we are sure they have full bellies and quiet time before bed. We do the same thing every night. But we also keep in mind that there are so many factors to consider.

Some reasons babies and toddlers wake in the night:

1.       Teething

2.       Wet diapers

3.       They are hungry

4.       They are scared and want to be near you to feel safe

5.       Illness

6.       They are too hot or too cold

7.       Gas

8.       They are working on a big milestone (crawling, walking etc.)

So here we are four years later and my boy has been sleeping through the night for a few years now. He's even happy to go to bed (win!) but my girl? Not yet. I know she will eventually get there but until she does I just keep remembering that there are a million and one reasons why an infant or toddler wakes in the night. And that all babies are different.  So I try and keep some perspective about it all. There will come a day when she sleeps through. And when that day comes, I'm sure I will look back on this time through those rose-colored glasses that we tend to wear when remembering our babies being little (Labor wasn't that bad, right?).  But for now I'm drinking way too much coffee and hoping every night that tonight is the night she will sleep all the way through.

Ok, tell me...When did your babies sleep through the night? What's the best advice you were given about infant sleep? What advice would you give to a sleep deprived new mom? 

Image © iStockphoto.com/ © Alex Motrenko

by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM
The whole issue of not getting a full night's sleep is so incredibly difficult for me. I wish I had some advice or wisdom to share, but I think everyone handles these things so differently... For us, a form of CIO worked ok with one child and not with another.

I think my only advice is to have clear communication with your SO so that you are working together to care for baby and still getting some rest for yourself.
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Follow your gut. No sleep expert knows your baby like you do. For us limited CIO worked. Sort of. Once asleep our son does great but from day one he has fought the initial falling asleep part.
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
You just have to do what works for your family for us that is cosleeping
anotherhalf
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM

My baby slept throught the night around 3-4 months.  But I didn't sleep through the night the entire first years because I was so terrified of SIDS.  

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on May. 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Dd is 2 and a half and still wakes a couple of times a night.  It doesn't really bother me, I know it will happen when she's ready.  For now she still sleeps with us so that it's easier for me to get her back to sleep when she wakes up.

pittymama
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

she slept through the night at 6 weeks old. honestly, we just tried it. she slept in her swing in the living room (i slept on the couch that first 6 weeks) and one night i was like "you know, i want to sleep in bed with my husband and my dogs" so i bathed her, fed her, changed her, swaddled her up and put her in her crib. she slept til 5. i continued to do that exact routine and she's slept through the night since that first night. there's been 4-5 nights that i've been up with her since then but it's usually because of teething and she goes right back down.

my only advice would be to do what's comfortable for baby. it's hard in the beginning but you have to remember, eventually you'll get sleep in your own bed! and try to enjoy it, soon they'll be sleeping on their own.. playing on their own.. and you'll look back missing the "infant" days. some moms might not agree with me about that but it's how i'm feeling right now.

Cindyrella21
by New Member on May. 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

not yet! she doesnt sleep through the night but thank God she's only waking up twice now. She's almost two months.

katvixenstar
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM

my son is almost 4. he probably started sleeping through *MOST* nights maybe a year ago. except for the past week, he's been tossing and turning. i think he was sick. he slept fine last night tho. :)

katvixenstar
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM

i totally miss my kids being infants. even tho they weren't great sleepers except when co-sleeping lol. they grow up too fast :(

Quoting pittymama:

she slept through the night at 6 weeks old. honestly, we just tried it. she slept in her swing in the living room (i slept on the couch that first 6 weeks) and one night i was like "you know, i want to sleep in bed with my husband and my dogs" so i bathed her, fed her, changed her, swaddled her up and put her in her crib. she slept til 5. i continued to do that exact routine and she's slept through the night since that first night. there's been 4-5 nights that i've been up with her since then but it's usually because of teething and she goes right back down.

my only advice would be to do what's comfortable for baby. it's hard in the beginning but you have to remember, eventually you'll get sleep in your own bed! and try to enjoy it, soon they'll be sleeping on their own.. playing on their own.. and you'll look back missing the "infant" days. some moms might not agree with me about that but it's how i'm feeling right now.

katvixenstar
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM

i totally miss my kids being infants. even tho they weren't great sleepers except when co-sleeping lol. they grow up too fast :(

Quoting pittymama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement