Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Babywearing: The Best Carriers

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies
  • 34729 Total Views

Do you wear your babies? I gotta say, before I had my first kid I thought it seemed a bit odd. But then I also thought I would do a whole lot of things that I never ended up doing. And in turn, did things I always said I wouldn't (like co-sleeping). So when my friend gifted me her Moby Wrap when my son was born, I had no idea what to do with it.

Then my son ended up being high, high, high (did I mention HIGH?) needs and I was at my wits end one night so I took to the internet and looked up a video on how to wrap a baby. In a sentence? Best thing I ever did.

I was blown away with how quickly it soothed him. And that was that. I've been wearing babies ever since.

The Moby ended up being an awesome carrier for my newborns through about four or five months. I tried out a ring sling but it didn't work for me. My husband loved using the ring sling, though. I think it's because his um...ahem.. chest...is much flatter than mine ;)

When our babes got some heft and good head control, we switched to a structured carrier. For us that meant an Ergo. With two kids under two years old, the back carry in the Ergo saved my sanity in grocery stores, doctors' offices and family trips. I can't sing the praises of the Ergo loud enough. Seriously.  Just look at this rambunctious and energy filled 2 yr. old happily riding on daddy's back instead of getting lost in the corn maze.  Did someone say lifesaver? Oh yes, that was me. 

So those are the three carriers we used. Did you wear your babies or toddlers? Did you like it or hate it? What carriers worked best for you? Which one would you recommend to a new mom and dad? 

Image © iStockphoto.com/aldegonde

by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsRobinson06
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
The only one that worked for me is the baby bjorn.
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on May. 29, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

We had a couple, my favorite was the baby bjorn.  Dh and I both did a lot of baby wearing when dd was smaller.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM
We didn't end up doing any baby wearing.
4kidz916
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Baby wraps weren't "in" when my kids were little but I really like the ones they have now and I would use one if I had a baby.

LancesMom
by New Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I never wore my baby! I didn't see a lot of it back in the day. But would have loved a wrap!

sukainah
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I just had a regular front baby carrier, I don't think they had Moby wraps, but they look comfortable.

RobynS
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I tried a sling and it just didn't fit my body type the right way, so I returned it. I was bummed b/c I really wanted it to work out!

.Angelica.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

i want to try some of the more expensive carriers if I have another baby. I had a k'tan with my daughter but she only liked to be worn facing out which I luckily learned early on is very bad for their back and hips. so since she protested being worn any other way it didn't get used. :(

jessicasmom1
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

No I did not baby wear 

hapababies
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I had a snugli and bjorne and they both killed my back, plus I didn't know how bad they were for my baby's hips.
I had a Balboa ring sling that only worked for a few months until my second son tried standing up in it one day.
The best have been my ergo and bobs. I love how I can carry my kids on my back when they are over 18 months or on my front when they are younger. I didn't have one back pain from the carriers, although my legs and hips got quite the workout.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement