Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Totally freaking out!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 481 Total Views

Yuck, I just found a tick on my leg while I was in the shower!  I know not all ticks carry Lymes Disease but now I'm totally freaked out.  Does anyone know how common it is to contract Lymes Disease from a tick?????

by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Was it a dear tick? If not then you really don't have to worry to much. Just keep the tick in a baggy and watch the spot for a bullseye to appear if that does get medical attention
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on May. 31, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The tick went down the drain....I totally freaked and screamed and threw it when I saw it lol (not my best moment).  So I guess I can't save it.  I'll keep an eye on the spot though.  Yuck those things just creep me out!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Was it a dear tick? If not then you really don't have to worry to much. Just keep the tick in a baggy and watch the spot for a bullseye to appear if that does get medical attention

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM

was it just crawling on you or was it actually attatched? I wouldnt worry to much. Dear tick are large suckers not the small black ones you generally get. But just keep an eye on the spot 

Quoting cabrandy03:

The tick went down the drain....I totally freaked and screamed and threw it when I saw it lol (not my best moment).  So I guess I can't save it.  I'll keep an eye on the spot though.  Yuck those things just creep me out!

Quoting KelliansMom:

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on May. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I'm pretty sure it was attatched.  I had to yank to get it off.  I thought it was just some tree sap or something from sitting outside last night at my brothers graduation until I actually had it in my hand.  And yes it was a deer tick, they're really the only ticks we have aroud here.

Quoting KelliansMom:

was it just crawling on you or was it actually attatched? I wouldnt worry to much. Dear tick are large suckers not the small black ones you generally get. But just keep an eye on the spot 

Quoting cabrandy03:

Quoting KelliansMom:

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Just keep an eye one it. I think you will be fine though. 

Quoting cabrandy03:

I'm pretty sure it was attatched.  I had to yank to get it off.  I thought it was just some tree sap or something from sitting outside last night at my brothers graduation until I actually had it in my hand.  And yes it was a deer tick, they're really the only ticks we have aroud here.

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting cabrandy03:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Platinum_blonde
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I think doctors should be more educated on the topic, because in Texas it is really uncommon. It is thought of as a "northeast thing".  Saw many doctors when I was younger, until I found a neurologist that believed me.  I don't have rheumatoid arthritis or anything but I do get tired faster than most people.  Just keep an eye out for the bullseye like KelliansMom said.  It has to have been attached for 24 hours or something like that. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM
If you saw the tick, I doubt it was a deer tick... Those are so tiny, and they're the ones with Lyme. The more "regular" size ticks are dog ticks, and don't really carry disease. You can Google it for size comparison.

Out west I know there is some kind of Rocky Mountain spotted fever from ticks, too, but I don't know anything about that.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I think you might have these confused with dog ticks. Deer ticks are teeny tiny, they're hard to see on a person unless they are engorged.

http://www.tickinfo.com/deertick.htm

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/deerticks.html

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting cabrandy03:

Quoting KelliansMom:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Just read this again, if you know it was a deer tick then keep an eye on the spot. Get to the doctor ASAP if you see the bullseye start to form. They can treat Lyme disease effectively if they catch it early on. But you are right to be concerned, I think. :-\ Sorry momma!

Quoting cabrandy03:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting cabrandy03:

Quoting KelliansMom:

soulofsunmama
by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Flu like symptoms and bullseye are your signs. If they appear, its completely fixed with antibiotics if you go in immediately. Don't freak out, just be aware.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)