Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

How Do You Record Your Baby's Milestones?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies
  • 35277 Total Views

As I mentioned here, I can be a bit...let's say "overzealous" when it comes to photographing my kids. I love capturing milestones as well as everyday moments, and although the main benefit of constantly taking pictures is the photos themselves, I also appreciate that the photos help me keep track of when the milestones occurred.

Since digital photo and video files are automatically embedded with a date stamp, I can now not only show you that my baby took his first steps, I can tell you the exact day he did it (April 21, 2013).

My other favorite quick-and-dirty way to record milestone dates is the opposite of high-tech: I juse a good old-fashioned pen and paper. Whenever my first son did something noteworthy or entered a new developmental stage, I pulled out a cheapo calendar I got in the mail for free and just wrote what he did right in the box for that date.

Okay, so I don't know how useful it is in any practical sense to know exactly when my first son cut his third tooth (September 5, 2009), but it's always fun to look back and reminisce. Now  that I have a second son, it's even more fun to compare the development of the boys. (One of them talked early, the other is climbing early. Yikes.)

Like a lot of first-time moms, I had grand plans about recording all the baby milestones in a fancy scrapbook album, but hey, it turns out that putting together a scrapbook for a baby is not something I can really do with a baby around. Go figure. In this as in parenting in general, I've had to adjust my expectations, find out what works best for us, and then enjoy the ride.

How do you record your baby's milestones?

mage © iStockphoto.com/karen roach

by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I did a pretty elaborate scrapbook style baby book for dd's first year.  I have a new scrapbook started for the next few years.

pittymama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM

i don't. i take pictures, that's it. good enough for me :)

powow65
by Kim on Jun. 3, 2013 at 6:33 AM
No, sadly I didn't.
:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:01 AM

I did with the first 2 and then stopped

conweis
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM
I felt like I was comparing my kids so I stopped too. Now unless they are delayed or really early I don't record.
Maybe cm will be my new record place LOL

Quoting momofsixangels:

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Quoting conweis:

I felt like I was comparing my kids so I stopped too. Now unless they are delayed or really early I don't record.
Maybe cm will be my new record place LOL

Quoting momofsixangels:

Lol right! Between here and fb  I have posted more about my kids then in the baby books

SweetLuci
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Photos and writing it on a calendar, hopefully it gets entered in his baby book later!

batjmom
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I had a calender in the babies rooms as well as baby books

batjmom
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM

also taking a lot of photos

pokemongirl0191
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM

i have a baby book plus a scrapbook of her first year and i take lots of pictures

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement