Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Just Freeze It!

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies
  • 36259 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Did you stock your freezer with meals when you prepared for your new baby? 

I remember being enormous with my first baby and it never crossed my mind to make meals ahead of time for freezing. I sat around and dreamed of friends and family coming to visit and making food and passing around the new baby for everyone to love on.  That happened for about two days. Then I had to get into the kitchen. So with my second baby? I was on it. I had a toddler running amok and was about to bring home a newbie. I knew it would be hard and the idea of having to cook on top of sleepless nights and zombie days made my eye twitch. So I set out to make some meals ahead of time that I could put pop out of the freezer and into the oven. 

I'm so glad I did. Like I said, I knew it would be a challenge to care for a newborn and a toddler all at once but of course I had no idea just how hard it was. And dang, it was hard! So the afternoon I spent preparing was a godsend. It kept our bellies full and the dishes to a bare minimum. 

We planned the meals and made a grocery list. We bought foil pans with lids that could be frozen and transferred right into the oven. We spent one full day making casseroles and lasagna and you name it. My favorite, hands down, was this recipe for chicken enchiladas. Oh, it was so good. And the best part, of course, is that when I was dragging my feet exhausted and trying to survive those first few weeks with two babies under 19 mos. old, I didn't have to cook.

Some mamas throw freezing parties before a new baby comes. I would love to do that for a new mom. I just wish I knew those mamas before I'd already done it all myself. 

Did you do any food preparation for bringing home a new baby? Have you ever helped a new mom by bringing her a hot meal? What's your favorite recipe? 

image © iStockphoto.com/Olesia Bilkei

by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

both times my husband takes 2 weeks off and he does all the cooking.

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I never did this but I did bring food to other new moms

batjmom
by Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM
My mom stayed a week with us so she did a lot of the meals.
TheFamilyPants
by CafeMom Blogger on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I love it when men cook! My husband does too and it is so awesome. He's so much better at it than me ;) 

Quoting .Angelica.:

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM
My mother in law was in town the first week and the day before she left she made a few meals and froze then for us. I didn't eat them though till my husband went back to work two weeks later (he made me meals too) since he went out of town
SweetLuci
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this

One thing that helps is before baby comes double cook, have one that night and freeze one for later. Not much more work, and many things freeze well. Chili, soups, beef stew, casseroles and things like pot pies, lasagna, baked ziti, burritos and enchilades. I also bake big meats, like turkey, roast pork, roast beef, 2-3 chickens or baking hens, divide into meal size portions and they can later be used for stirfries, hot open faced sandwiches, pulled pork or BBQ chicken sandwiches.

aidensmomma508
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM

No just got a lot of easy to prepare meals like microwave meals or sandwich. 

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jun. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I didn't. My husband took a month off work and so he was home to cook most of the time ( he was gone for 4 days though during that time) He made sure I had easy to prepare food for those few days he was gone because I was still in a lot of pain and moving hurt.

If there's a next time ill probably freeze some meals because we'd then have 2 kids and it would just be easier!
.Angelica.
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

my husband does most the cooking for this reason. lol

Quoting TheFamilyPants:

I love it when men cook! My husband does too and it is so awesome. He's so much better at it than me ;) 

Quoting .Angelica.:

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I love it when people bring us food after a baby! I hate to cook so I haven't but if someone I am close to has a baby I usually get them diapers and an outfit or whatever they need... I didn't stock the freezer for a new baby but usually when I make lasagna I make an extra pan to put in the freezer :) I also food processored 15 lbs of onions and put them in sandwhich bags in the freezer and pulled one out every time I made ground beef! So slick! I'm out so I need to do that again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement