Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

When First Words Come Late

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
  • 33723 Total Views

There are few milestones we mamas look forward to more than hearing the beautiful sound of our babies calling us by name. When they first call us "Mama" it's like music to our ears. And it's been known to make the eyes a little leaky, right?  But what if baby doesn't talk when everyone says they are supposed to?

My son was a very late talker. Very late. So late that I worried about his development. While other babies his age were babbling and uttering their first words, my boy was mostly silent. At two years old, I started to worry. His doctor sent him to speech therapy and I took to the internet to research language development.  Putting it mildly, I was desperate to hear a word, just one, come from his sweet voice.  I spent countless hours working with him through play and reading books. We used music and special games designed to encourage him to say something. Anything. 

While other babies were talking, I noticed that he was busy advancing in other areas. He had (and still does have) the agility and balance of a much older child. His gross motor skills were off the charts. I realized that he was just busy working on other milestones so I forced myself to be patient and wait (not my best skill).

Eventually he said those beautiful words. Actually he yelled them at the top of his lungs because I was in the next room, "MAMA!! MAAAAMA!!! MAMA!!!" and as I rounded the corner to see my almost three year old finally say his first word a huge weight was lifting off my shoulders. He did it! Finally.

And now at four?  Well, this kid is talking just about every second of the day and I still just love the sound of his voice.

What was your baby's first word? When did your baby or toddler start talking? Did you ever worry that your child's language development was late? 

Image © iStockphoto.com/ Augusto Olivares

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Mine all said dada first.I cant remember when they started talking but I was never worried about it

GwenMB
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I don't remember their first words. My older son was about average when he started talking, my younger son a little early (I think because he had big brother talking to him).

TerriC
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM

My oldest said Dada as a first word and my youngest said mama.  They both started talking (one word at a time) before they were a year old.  Thankfully, I never had any worries in that department.

dusky_rose
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM

My ds is a talker, he just charms everyone with his words. I honestly don't remember what his first word was, but I think it was dada.

lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Dada was her first word.  She spoke early, so I was never worried.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I can't remember their first words.  I think I have it written down, hopefully LOL.  I think my oldest son was 15 months and my youngest was 12 month.  I did worry about the development of my oldest son.  He didn't talk a lot, like tell me he was hungry or anything like that.

Rushn311
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM

They both said Ma Ma. My daughter was young, don't know exactly when, but I have it written down. Same with my son.

batjmom
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I never worried that it was late.  My first son said "ball" first and my second said "mama" first

MamaMandee
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My son who is my middle child did have some issues and ended up needing tubes in his ears and some speech therapy. 

arpazia
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Um. Lord... I don't know, that was 8 years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement