Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

When First Words Come Late

There are few milestones we mamas look forward to more than hearing the beautiful sound of our babies calling us by name. When they first call us "Mama" it's like music to our ears. And it's been known to make the eyes a little leaky, right?  But what if baby doesn't talk when everyone says they are supposed to?

My son was a very late talker. Very late. So late that I worried about his development. While other babies his age were babbling and uttering their first words, my boy was mostly silent. At two years old, I started to worry. His doctor sent him to speech therapy and I took to the internet to research language development.  Putting it mildly, I was desperate to hear a word, just one, come from his sweet voice.  I spent countless hours working with him through play and reading books. We used music and special games designed to encourage him to say something. Anything. 

While other babies were talking, I noticed that he was busy advancing in other areas. He had (and still does have) the agility and balance of a much older child. His gross motor skills were off the charts. I realized that he was just busy working on other milestones so I forced myself to be patient and wait (not my best skill).

Eventually he said those beautiful words. Actually he yelled them at the top of his lungs because I was in the next room, "MAMA!! MAAAAMA!!! MAMA!!!" and as I rounded the corner to see my almost three year old finally say his first word a huge weight was lifting off my shoulders. He did it! Finally.

And now at four?  Well, this kid is talking just about every second of the day and I still just love the sound of his voice.

What was your baby's first word? When did your baby or toddler start talking? Did you ever worry that your child's language development was late? 

Image © iStockphoto.com/ Augusto Olivares

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
aidensmomma508
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes it was and still is but it's more a normal thing now that we are used to it. Yesterday he said all done and no no no appropriately so maybe he'll gain more speech back who knows but don't feel bad he's a awesome kid <3

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Her first real word that she meant to say and wasn't just babble, was bye. I think it was around 13 months. It did concern me at times how slowly she added words to her vocabulary early on, but was always reassured that she was right on track. And now, like in the article, at 4 years old, she doesn't ever stop talking!!!

SweetLuci
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Dada. Talked early.
armyslpbaby
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Just wanted to say that I am a pediatric speech pathologist.. Feel free to message me if you have concerns! 

armyslpbaby
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Hey I'm a slp too, I haven't met a colleague on cafemom yet, you would be the first :) I work for a school district in PA, you? 

Quoting LOswald0314:

I have a degree in speech therapy and even my first child was a late talker. I didn't worry because I knew what to look for, and I just exposed him to as much language as possible (lots of books, labeling everything), and now he talks non stop.

rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:04 AM

my cousin is experiencing something similar. Their 2 year old isn't talking yet, and she's really concerned. the doctor told them he has an extra chromosome, they're not sure how it's going to affect him yet.

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Not late but my 2nd had a high vocab by 14 months because he would repeat everything his sister said but then by 2 we couldn't really understand him. He was never considered behind but he never talked as clear as his sister and now our 4th doesn't always talk the clearest but I am not worried like we were with our 2nd because we've been through this before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN