Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

6 month doctors visit.

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 333 Total Views
Today my dd had her 6month check up, she will be 6 months tomorrow, and they check her weight, length, blood pressure and measure her head. Then doctor comes in and says since she is not technically 6 months she can't have her shots done today. So I really didn't mind because since she's been on this medicine I like that she gets checked up regularly. So she weighted in just under her weight as last month but heart rate and blood pressure are good.
So what did your LO weigh at 6 months?
An if you exclusively bf and the weight was on the lower side what did you do to help bump up her weight?
I had been worried that I haven't been producing enough breast milk and with her weight being under than last month kind of makes me feel that I may not be giving my baby what she needs to stay healthy and grow.
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I don't remember what my daughter weighed at 6 months, or how much of a gain it was from the previous visit. I do remember that at her 9 month check up, she weighed less than she did at her 6 month check up. The doctor wasn't concerned because you couuld tell by looking at her that she was perfectly healthy, and she was meeting all her milestones, etc. It's important to treat the baby, not the charts. BUT, it happened to be around the time we started switching to solids more regularly, and at the time, I didn't realize that formula/breastmilk was still supposed to be the #1 source of nutrition. So her doctor advised me to make sure she got full on that before offering her solids. Before 1 year, solids are really just play/practice. It's not necessary for nutrition.

So my guess, would be to just make sure she's filling up on breastmilk. And if she looks and acts healthy, I wouldn't worry.

It's hard when you're breastfeeding to know how much baby is getting, because boobs aren't transparent :) And when you pump, it's not accurate because it's different than baby's sucking, so you get different results. A good way to know if baby is getting enough food is by the dirty diapers. If she's producing several a day, she's most likely getting what she needs. At 6 months is generally when they stop saying to make sure they gain about 5-7 ounces a day, so focus more on the poo than the weight :)

Good luck!

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I knew I forgot to ask him about the dirty diapers. I've noticed that I will only have to change her 3-4 times a day and she only poops once a day. Even over night when she wakes up its like she only went once but I change her anyways.
She is on medication for her hemangioma so I am just extra worried now. She seems to be meeting all milestones now except for rolling over, she only does that when she wakes up.
About the food yes I got that from this sight so I stopped feeding her solids because she was getting full off breastmilk. But after the appointment I changed her bf then fed her sweet potatoes then I bf again and she feel asleep.
I was just hoping it was some sort of spurt because she did get longer so I thought that was a contributing factor of to why she hasn't gained weight but then when the diapers come to be not really enough it worries me.
So her only going poop once a day and me only changing her diaper at least three times a day this is bad isn't it?

Quoting MomToovey:

I don't remember what my daughter weighed at 6 months, or how much of a gain it was from the previous visit. I do remember that at her 9 month check up, she weighed less than she did at her 6 month check up. The doctor wasn't concerned because you couuld tell by looking at her that she was perfectly healthy, and she was meeting all her milestones, etc. It's important to treat the baby, not the charts. BUT, it happened to be around the time we started switching to solids more regularly, and at the time, I didn't realize that formula/breastmilk was still supposed to be the #1 source of nutrition. So her doctor advised me to make sure she got full on that before offering her solids. Before 1 year, solids are really just play/practice. It's not necessary for nutrition.

So my guess, would be to just make sure she's filling up on breastmilk. And if she looks and acts healthy, I wouldn't worry.

It's hard when you're breastfeeding to know how much baby is getting, because boobs aren't transparent :) And when you pump, it's not accurate because it's different than baby's sucking, so you get different results. A good way to know if baby is getting enough food is by the dirty diapers. If she's producing several a day, she's most likely getting what she needs. At 6 months is generally when they stop saying to make sure they gain about 5-7 ounces a day, so focus more on the poo than the weight :)

Good luck!

blapier
by Brenda on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Dd was abOut 16 lbs around 7 months old(I checked her baby book lol) some babies are just small. Dd now is 2 and is 24 lbs. Just keep counting the dirty diapers:)
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I forgot that you told us in another post that she's on medication. I wonder if that may have something to do with it?

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing everything just fine.

Quoting redrose_12:

I knew I forgot to ask him about the dirty diapers. I've noticed that I will only have to change her 3-4 times a day and she only poops once a day. Even over night when she wakes up its like she only went once but I change her anyways.
She is on medication for her hemangioma so I am just extra worried now. She seems to be meeting all milestones now except for rolling over, she only does that when she wakes up.
About the food yes I got that from this sight so I stopped feeding her solids because she was getting full off breastmilk. But after the appointment I changed her bf then fed her sweet potatoes then I bf again and she feel asleep.
I was just hoping it was some sort of spurt because she did get longer so I thought that was a contributing factor of to why she hasn't gained weight but then when the diapers come to be not really enough it worries me.
So her only going poop once a day and me only changing her diaper at least three times a day this is bad isn't it?

Quoting MomToovey:

Good luck!

I'm training for a half marathon! If you'd like to follow my progress from an "All hope is lost" couch potato with a bad knee to a marathon runner, "like" my Page!

MinglingMom
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM

My daughter will be 6 months tomorrow and her 6 month checkup is Monday. However, we were just at the peditrician last week for a cough that she's had for a couple weeks and at the time she weighed 16 lbs 14 oz. I imagine she'll be over 17 lbs on Monday but I had supply issues and by the time she was 4.5 months she was completely formula fed and I was no longer bfing.

I know they say that they want them to have at least 4 wet diapers a day but about a month and a half ago, my LO was BARELY having that many and when I took her in, they weren't too concerned because they said she still looked healthy. They also had me give her bottles of water between meals to help out with fluids and they also had me water down the occasional bottle of formula. After about a week she was back up to 8-10 diapers a day.

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Really the only way to tell if she's getting enough is to count diapers.  Ideally you want at least 6 wet diapers every 24 hours (poopy diapers count as two).  At a around a year old it drops from 6 to 4 because babies begin to gain control over their bladders.  If baby is having unusually heavy pees you can count them as 2.  As long as she's having enough wet/dirty diapers and hitting milestones I wouldn't stress over the weight gain.  Is she eating any solids yet?  It's not uncommon for breastfed babies to go up to 10 days without pooping and isn't anything to worry about.  Breastmilk is just so perfect there is very little waste.  Once baby starts eating more solids there will be more dirty diapers.

Quoting redrose_12:

Quoting MomToovey:

Good luck!

livelovelaugh64
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Hi! My name is Anastasiya I am 21 and a mom to a 5 month old boy named Salvatore. He was born 2 months premature due to stress. he is almost 6 months now and he only waighs 14 pounds. He was 3 pounds when he was born but he was one of the healthiest premature baby that was born in indiana hospital. the doc did say he will be playing catch up for almost two years but yet my son is alost walking by himself..is that normal? he tries to eat by himself aswell. i never seen that in a child and it does scare me sometimes but what is the norm for a 6 month old waight?

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I did introduce solids but I asked on here and was advise to make it more of a snack so feed her with breastmilk first. So I have been bf then if she is still hungry to give her solids.
Since we been here at our new place so about a week I have only had to change her diaper about 3x a day. Like today its 9:44pm and she has had 3 diaper changes and two were only like she peed once and no poop so far.
I forgot to ask the doctor about this. And besides diaper changes she is meeting milestones and seems fine and happy.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Really the only way to tell if she's getting enough is to count diapers.  Ideally you want at least 6 wet diapers every 24 hours (poopy diapers count as two).  At a around a year old it drops from 6 to 4 because babies begin to gain control over their bladders.  If baby is having unusually heavy pees you can count them as 2.  As long as she's having enough wet/dirty diapers and hitting milestones I wouldn't stress over the weight gain.  Is she eating any solids yet?  It's not uncommon for breastfed babies to go up to 10 days without pooping and isn't anything to worry about.  Breastmilk is just so perfect there is very little waste.  Once baby starts eating more solids there will be more dirty diapers.

Quoting redrose_12:

Quoting MomToovey:

Good luck!

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Yeah some days she will seem different like much quiet and will slit up more on those days but that's like once every two weeks. I asked the doctor if that can happen because of the meds like acting different and not being hungry he said it can be.
I really wish my memory was not bad now I have to wait until Monday to call and ask about the diapers.

Quoting MomToovey:

I forgot that you told us in another post that she's on medication. I wonder if that may have something to do with it?

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing everything just fine.

Quoting redrose_12:

Quoting MomToovey:

Good luck!

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM
That's the thing she hasn't been going like before

Quoting blapier:

Dd was abOut 16 lbs around 7 months old(I checked her baby book lol) some babies are just small. Dd now is 2 and is 24 lbs. Just keep counting the dirty diapers:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN