Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Every New Mom Needs This On Their Baby Registry

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies
  • 23113 Total Views

So we all want to give the best gift at the baby shower right? I know that before I had kids myself I always shopped for the perfect and most adorable outfit that I could find. There are so many things to choose from and gift registries are a great thing. But I don't follow them much anymore. And it's because I know that there are things that are cute and then there are things that you NEED. And I really want to give something that a new mom truly needs. There are plenty of people who are going to overflow that baby's dresser with the cutest ruffles or pinstripes.

Before we become moms, we have dreams of the amazingly small and perfectly cute stuff we will buy for our baby. Or even better, that OTHER people will buy for our baby. We lovingly comb through catalogs for the perfect crib, stroller and changing table. We give "awwww" face at all the tiny sleepers and pacifiers and little Elmo lovies when we go into any store. It's such a fun part of expecting a baby for the first time.

BUT...there are things that a new mom cannot live without and it's not clothes or changing tables.  Looking back on all the things I registered for, I could flick myself between the eyes for just randomly scanning some cheap thermometer. Yeah, I got that thermometer but it was junk. It broke after just one illness. ONE! So for me, if I had to say what I think the most important thing to purchase for a new mom is, oh for the love of Pete, I'd say she needs a great thermometer. There is nothing right about needing an accurate reading at 2 a.m. and not being able to get one. So yeah, a great thermometer is now my go to shower gift. It's practical and so needed. They make them now with 5 second reads from behind the ear. That means you don't have to even wake the baby to check their temp! And when my 11 month old had strep that, my friends,  was a Godsend.

What was the shower gift that you appreciated the most? What gift do you give to a new mom? If you could do your registry over again, what would you add? 

Image © iStock.com/Frans Rombout

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM
My host skipped out on my shower the day before and didn't send invites so I didn't have one.
Vertical15
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Diapers! While I cloth diapered I know most new moms don't so I usually go for something little off their registry and diapers.

What drove me nuts? I got SO many receiving blankets I can't even tell you how many! I still have a drawer FULL of receiving blankets. I haven't started to try to find things to do with them so I never buy those for anyone!
Vertical15
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Fjamrkr:My host skipped out on my shower the day before and didn't send invites so I didn't have one.
thats terrible! I'm so sorry! I'm of the belief that every baby deserves a shower :(
Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Cut them up and give them to your husband as rags or use them for dusting.

If you have a swiffer, you can cut them to length and dip them in water with your preferred cleaner for a quick mop.

Or get some batting and make a nice quilt if they're cute and patterned.

Quoting Vertical15:

Diapers! While I cloth diapered I know most new moms don't so I usually go for something little off their registry and diapers.

What drove me nuts? I got SO many receiving blankets I can't even tell you how many! I still have a drawer FULL of receiving blankets. I haven't started to try to find things to do with them so I never buy those for anyone!

Vertical15
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Quoting Fjamrkr:

i think I haven't done anything with them for nostalgia reasons at this point but those are great suggestions for when I do, thanks!
mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:01 AM

The sentimental type gifts that I wouldn't buy myself are fun. My son was given a small piggy bank from his NICU roomie because my parents bought both my son and their a stuffed monkey (we still have ours, it's been passed down to our youngest and it's retired and used sells for $35 on ebay... I really want a 2nd one lol but not for that much!)

The practical things are great too esp if money is tight like diapers, it's good to register for what sizes and brands of things you want like bottles, pacifier, diapers, esp clothes. People love buying baby clothes but it's nice to get 3-6 months too since babies usually grow so fast.

rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:02 AM

a big box of gently used clothes. They lasted hendrix his entire first 2 months

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Me too! I had one with my 1st, 3rd and 5th. 2nd came soon after the 1st and the 4th life was hectic with my dad being diagnosed with cancer.

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting Fjamrkr:My host skipped out on my shower the day before and didn't send invites so I didn't have one.
thats terrible! I'm so sorry! I'm of the belief that every baby deserves a shower :(

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:04 AM

I'd probably just use the material or pass them on. I like them in the beginning and we go through a lot because I use them as spit up rags, it protects better than the thin, long burp rags lol we do have one of those and I put it in his toy bin to play with. Now we don't use recieving blankets at all. My girls like them for their dolls though. Oh I guess I used one to change a really messy diaper on lol because I put the changing pads away already lol

Quoting Vertical15:

BlessedMammaof2
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:15 AM
This. My sisters little boy is 8 months older than my son. She gave me a box full of gently used and some brand new newborn clothing and that's all I needed to make it through the first several weeks.

Quoting rfhsure:

a big box of gently used clothes. They lasted hendrix his entire first 2 months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement