Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Packing Your Hospital Bag

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
  • 22999 Total Views
3 moms liked this

I will never forget how meticulously I packed my bag for the hospital when I was expecting my first baby. I was so excited about becoming a mom that I had the bag packed 6 weeks early. This gave me the opportunity over and over again to double and triple check it. I had bought new nightgown to wear in the hospital and had what I thought I needed. But then, the day came.  I pulled out one of the 4 nursing bras that I had carefully chosen only to discover that, well duh, my milk coming in made them too small. There was a make-up bag for pictures that went untouched (Not a bad idea. I just never used it). I had perfumed lotion and toenail polish and...yeah, what was I thinking? Who needs toenail clippers and jewelry in a hospital bag?

With my second baby I knew the score and packed like a pro. I remembered how hungry I was between meals and was sure to bring some protein bars and other snacks that I liked. And slippers! Oh I was so happy to have my slippers!  Also a great idea? A bathrobe! Nothing says, "half-naked" like walking the halls of the hospital in one of their, oh so fashionable, gowns.  Am I right?

There are a ton of great checklists on the internet that can help a first time mom organize a useful hospital bag. But alas, I never bothered to Google that with my first.  Live and learn, right?

What was the most useful thing in your hospital bag? In hindsight, if you could re-pack it, what would you add? What would have just left at home?

Image © iStock.com/GOSPHOTODESIGN

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I packed mine really early too.. adding things removing things a dozen times I think.  I think that having my camera was the best.  

Jayisaacs
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

And i am one if these moms that have to pack my bag soon almost 7 months have not even pack or buy anything yet

I am so excited to have a baby after 11 years

aidensmomma508
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I would've packed snacks and probably more clothes. After the first day I was ready for sweats I had my Dh go back home to get some at some point

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Most useful phone charger and knit dresses. And some card games. Helped pass the time.

What I wish I would have packed. A few outfits for baby to wear while at the hospital (we ended up being there for 4 days and our room was cold) and mittens to keep him from scratching his face.
Dibsy
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I packed early also. And packed so much stuff I didn't use at all. Bring a book, everyone said. Do you think I read a single page? Heck no, I was too busy trying to sleep between the hourly visits from the nurses. I brought clothes, but I didn't feel like wearing jeans after birth so I wound up wearing pajama pants home. Something nice to have would have been the robe and a pair of panties that fit the massive pad they have you wear after birth.

MIL went out and bought me slippers that fit my enormously swollen feet, which was a godsend! Next time I'm paring it down to predominately baby things- diapers I like and wipes, because the wipes they gave us at the hospital were dry and I had to keep wetting them in the sink- and hide the baby nail clippers because even though its on the list of what to bring, I got yelled at for clipping my sons nails by the night nurse.
QueenSprinkles
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM

We only spent a little over 48 hours in the hospital, from time of admittance, induction, and release. I'm glad I had my comfortable pillow because the hospital ones were terrible. In hindsight, I wouldn't have packed extra diapers/wipes, blankets, etc because the hospital gave us plenty of those. I am also glad I brought my hairbrush, because writhing on a hospital bed during an agonizing 24-hour labor turned my hair into a static-filled rats nest.

I have shut my little sister in from life and light -
(For a rose, for a ribbon, for a wreath across my hair)
rachellaree20
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I packed mine while I was in labor but I wasn't expecting to have it sneak up on me at 38 weeks like it did.

Anyway, the most useful thing I remembered to bring was extra socks because I hate my feet being cold.  I wouldn't have added anything even though I didn't bring much because I didn't use much. I would have left home extra clothes other than the ones I went home in because I wore the gowns most of the time I was there.

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I loved having my own nightgown! I would have left all my shampoo and soaps at home

jdd22
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

What exactly do you pack? I'm only 22 Weeks along but still want to be prepared. I will probably be one to pack my bag really early!

conweis
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I should have packed more snacks.
I packed like three days before going into labor.
They never give you enough food. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement