Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Packing Your Hospital Bag

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
  • 23052 Total Views
3 moms liked this

I will never forget how meticulously I packed my bag for the hospital when I was expecting my first baby. I was so excited about becoming a mom that I had the bag packed 6 weeks early. This gave me the opportunity over and over again to double and triple check it. I had bought new nightgown to wear in the hospital and had what I thought I needed. But then, the day came.  I pulled out one of the 4 nursing bras that I had carefully chosen only to discover that, well duh, my milk coming in made them too small. There was a make-up bag for pictures that went untouched (Not a bad idea. I just never used it). I had perfumed lotion and toenail polish and...yeah, what was I thinking? Who needs toenail clippers and jewelry in a hospital bag?

With my second baby I knew the score and packed like a pro. I remembered how hungry I was between meals and was sure to bring some protein bars and other snacks that I liked. And slippers! Oh I was so happy to have my slippers!  Also a great idea? A bathrobe! Nothing says, "half-naked" like walking the halls of the hospital in one of their, oh so fashionable, gowns.  Am I right?

There are a ton of great checklists on the internet that can help a first time mom organize a useful hospital bag. But alas, I never bothered to Google that with my first.  Live and learn, right?

What was the most useful thing in your hospital bag? In hindsight, if you could re-pack it, what would you add? What would have just left at home?

Image © iStock.com/GOSPHOTODESIGN

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I packed mine really early too.. adding things removing things a dozen times I think.  I think that having my camera was the best.  

Jayisaacs
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

And i am one if these moms that have to pack my bag soon almost 7 months have not even pack or buy anything yet

I am so excited to have a baby after 11 years

aidensmomma508
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I would've packed snacks and probably more clothes. After the first day I was ready for sweats I had my Dh go back home to get some at some point

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Most useful phone charger and knit dresses. And some card games. Helped pass the time.

What I wish I would have packed. A few outfits for baby to wear while at the hospital (we ended up being there for 4 days and our room was cold) and mittens to keep him from scratching his face.
Dibsy
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I packed early also. And packed so much stuff I didn't use at all. Bring a book, everyone said. Do you think I read a single page? Heck no, I was too busy trying to sleep between the hourly visits from the nurses. I brought clothes, but I didn't feel like wearing jeans after birth so I wound up wearing pajama pants home. Something nice to have would have been the robe and a pair of panties that fit the massive pad they have you wear after birth.

MIL went out and bought me slippers that fit my enormously swollen feet, which was a godsend! Next time I'm paring it down to predominately baby things- diapers I like and wipes, because the wipes they gave us at the hospital were dry and I had to keep wetting them in the sink- and hide the baby nail clippers because even though its on the list of what to bring, I got yelled at for clipping my sons nails by the night nurse.
QueenSprinkles
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM

We only spent a little over 48 hours in the hospital, from time of admittance, induction, and release. I'm glad I had my comfortable pillow because the hospital ones were terrible. In hindsight, I wouldn't have packed extra diapers/wipes, blankets, etc because the hospital gave us plenty of those. I am also glad I brought my hairbrush, because writhing on a hospital bed during an agonizing 24-hour labor turned my hair into a static-filled rats nest.

I have shut my little sister in from life and light -
(For a rose, for a ribbon, for a wreath across my hair)
rachellaree20
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I packed mine while I was in labor but I wasn't expecting to have it sneak up on me at 38 weeks like it did.

Anyway, the most useful thing I remembered to bring was extra socks because I hate my feet being cold.  I wouldn't have added anything even though I didn't bring much because I didn't use much. I would have left home extra clothes other than the ones I went home in because I wore the gowns most of the time I was there.

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I loved having my own nightgown! I would have left all my shampoo and soaps at home

jdd22
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

What exactly do you pack? I'm only 22 Weeks along but still want to be prepared. I will probably be one to pack my bag really early!

conweis
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I should have packed more snacks.
I packed like three days before going into labor.
They never give you enough food. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN