Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

DON'T Buy This for Your Baby

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 48 Replies
  • 19549 Total Views

If I'd made a list of baby gear and gadgets recommended by friends and family as "must-haves," the list would have been as long as ten Moby wraps tied end to end. Most of that information was appreciated, much of it was priceless, but a lot of it was useless. I don't think that special "must-have" baby bath seat got used a single time with either of my kids. Lies!

But what makes a baby product "good" versus "bad" baby usually has more to do with the baby than the product itself. For example, never was the phrase "every baby is different" so well illustrated as seeing how much my first son haaaaaated the battery-operated swing and then--thank goodness we kept it--seeing how my second son could barely fall asleep without it. The mystery of what baby gear will work for you and your baby is solved only through trial and error, and the solution will be as unique as you and your baby are.

When I think of all the things my babies hated (the swing), things I hated (the sling), and things that just didn't turn out to be all that necessary (the nursing pillow), my two bits of advice are these:

1. Borrow baby gear from friends and family. Try things out with your own actual baby to see if you both like the products enough to buy ones of your own.

2. Getting things for free is even better, whether as hand-me-downs, Craigslist or Freecycle scores, or yard sales. (Just last weekend we showed up at the end of a yard sale and the sellers gave us the Pack ‘n' Play we were eyeing because they didn't want to take it to Goodwill. Jackpot!)

It really would be so much easier if there were a definitive list of things all babies love or hate. But if it were that easy, they wouldn't be babies, and this wouldn't be parenthood. ;)

What were some of the baby products people swore you wouldn't be able to live without that turned out to be flops?

Photo © iStockphoto/kirza

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bekki
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Swing. My son hated it!!

leksismommy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM

A diaper genie, I found that it was a rediculous amount to pay for "A TRASH CAN"

chrissydan
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:28 AM
A bumo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Diaper genie, wipe warmer, swing, bouncy seat, walker, bumbo. All useless items that took up a ridiculous amount of space and ended up in the trash or given to someone else lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

A changing table... We never actually bought one because it was just unnecessary, just used a changing pad on the floor or bed.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The baby swing was a flop with my second child.  We didn't have it with my first.

lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Bumbo seat, SwaddleMe wraps....

kellynh
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Wipe warmer and swaddle blankets

wandep
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Bottle warmer

GwenMB
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Bumbo - I bought it & then realized we really didn't need it so it got returned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement