Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

I Should Have Kept My Pack 'N Play!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 21391 Total Views

When we were little they were called playpens. Remember that? And they were made of wood and metal. I often wonder how we survived our childhood in the 80's or at least how in the world I didn't end up with more stitches. These days play yard or pack 'n play are the names they go by and man, are they a million times cozier than their ancient ancestors. And safer too.

My first kid would not abide the pack 'n play but that was nothing new with him. He didn't like much in the way of confinement. But with my daughter I found it invaluable. It really was a life saver to be able to place her in a safe place while I tended to her big brother. And she loved that darn thing!

We used our pack 'n play outdoors too! It was perfect for backyard barbeques and lazy afternoon naps under our shade tree. In the summer time I purchased a bug guard for it because we live on bog land and the bugs are bad. Have you seen these? They work!

We took our pack 'n play everywhere. We even took it camping and while it was bulky to cart around, it was so worth it. By the time our pack 'n play was sold in our garage sale it had seen the sandy beach, campsites and countless friends and families houses.

So when I saw this pin on Pinterest the other day I was so bummed! I wish I would have kept our play yard and made a cozy fort retreat for our daughter. And hey, maybe our son would think it was cool too! Now I might have to buy one from someone else's yard sale just so I can.

Did you use a play yard? Where did your play yard travel to? 

Image © iStock.com/StevieS

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM
We never purchased one. My mil and mom did though for when we would visit them (flying or driving with one is a pain)
lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:48 AM

We got one at my baby shower, but we only used it once or twice.

Bmat
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Yes I did use a play yard, and the kids didn't mind it. I kept toys in there that they could only play with while in the play yard. When they were in there I didn't need to constantly try to distract the toddler from getting into things.  I took the play yard on trips so the baby could sleep in it, too- double duty. I gave it away when the kids outgrew it.

kitcal78
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I got three of them at my baby shower.  Took two of them back.  I still have it.  The Eddie Bower (I'm sure I spelled the brand name wrong) black one with the fold out changing bed and bear mobile.  Top part used until I think 20 lbs.  After my son got over 20 lbs he hated that thing.  I mean with a passion.  Couldn't stand to be put in it.  I considered purchasing the pad thing offline to add to it for more comfort.  He would probably still hate having to sleep in it. So I will be trying to get ride of it on Craigslist.

Great shower gift. 

4kidz916
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I did use one.  I think I gave mine away when I was finished with it.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM

We have one that they have long grown out of but didn't really take it anywhere.  It was pretty muhc used in the house.

That's a cool idea on the pinterest!

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM

We only used it for camping and vacations, really

GwenMB
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Very cool idea!

We did use our pack n play a lot when we traveled.  We didn't use it camping or at the beach - but that is a good idea.

I'm of the opinion that I'll keep the pack n play as is for quite a while to use when friends come over with their babies or if I babysit a baby who needs a nap.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yes we used the playpen till they moved in to their crib, occasionally around the house and on vacations

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
My son hates it. Always has! Makes traveling to see families a pain because he won't sleep in one!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement