Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Are You Getting Enough Sleep?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 22219 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Sleep deprivation is nothing to shake a stick at. Every new mom knows what I'm talking about. There are weeks and, for some of us, months (years?)  where sleep is so few and far between we start to feel like walking zombies. Newborn babies are demanding little people but they can't help it. The only world they know is the safe and sound version from the inside of mama. Warm, cozy and with familiar comforting sounds.  When they arrive earth side, they don't know about our rules for sleeping. They only know and seek out comfort.  And that means being near or touching their mamas 24 hours a day. That wasn't just me, right?!

Sleep deprivation can lead to many other problems for adults. Irritability, anxiety and even stress related illness. So having a plan for bringing home baby, so that you and your spouse are well rested, can be one of the most important plans you make. When I was pregnant with my first, people told me that the laundry can wait. They said the dishes could, too. They told me to sleep when baby sleeps. And that is exactly what I did with my first and I was definitely healthier because of it.

But what do you do when you have a second baby? You can't exactly sleep with a toddler running around, right? Right. So for the first few months with my second, I went to bed almost every night when the kids did. I called on friends and family to help by coming over to hold the baby while I showered or napped with my toddler.  It was a patchwork plan for sure.  Some days it worked - others it didn't.

So I want to know from you... Did you get enough rest with a new baby in the house?  How did you do it? If you didn't get enough rest, when did it get better for you? 

Image © iStock.com/billyfoto

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM
With a new baby I was always tired!
emilyelephant
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:31 AM
It got better at 4-5 months when we finally moved from the couch to bed sharing, then MUCH better when we moved her to her crib at 7 months. She has slept through the night since 7.5 months. Yay!
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:49 AM
Ill have to get back to you. Ds is 19 months and still gets up at least twice a night. Lately for hours at a time,
wandep
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM

You sleep when baby sleeps. :)

SweetLuci
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I was lucky and mine slept through the night pretty early. I kept waking up to check on him though, so I didn't really sleep that well for the first few months.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Um... I did as much trading off with DH as possible, which helped. But yeah, sleep deprivation was rough. And it still can be a challenge, although DH is good to let me sleep in on the weekends.
k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM

No, I don't get enough rest. My daughter wakes up at least twice a night, sometimes every hour still. I won't do CIO method, I am totally against that and am used to her getting up since she is 11 months old now. Somedays I will take a nap with her during the day.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

It was hard during the first couple months. I finally gave in to bed sharing & that helped a ton especially with breastfeeding through the night. In those begining months my baby was up every 2 hours to nurse (for an hour straight) & would nurse every 2 hours during the day too. No one could do it for me so I just had to suck it up. She's now 10 months old & sleeps much better but I still co-sleep & I'll still take a nap with her during the day to catch up.

SteffM0501
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

The phrase "sleep when the baby sleeps" is real bullshit sometimes. My daughter has colic and acid reflux and for the first six weeks of her life, she only slept in thirty minute increments. By the time I laid her down and got comfortable, she was awake again. Finally with some major adjustments (medication, crib elevation, mommy's dietary restrictions) she naps longer and wakes about three times a night to eat. But I would get so angry when well-meaning people would tell me it was as simple as sleeping when she slept.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Not really. I don't always sleep well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement