Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

New Mom Anxiety

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 1765 Total Views

Hello,

I have never posted anything before in a discussion board so please bear with me :) First,  I am a brand new, first time mom.  I have never been much of a fan of little babies bc they are so small, fragile etc.  I have always wanted children though and have a 2 1/2 week old little angel girl and am constantly anxious.  I have the MOST amazing husband who helps with everything while he is not at work, an equally amazing mom who helps me out during the day and still have such anxiety.  I worry about if I can do this, if I am being a good mom, if she is too hot/cold, etc.  I cry a lot bc I am happy or scared and am not normally a crier.  The crying is MUCH better than when I first got home but still persists.  Does anyone else feel like this?

Second, I had planned on breastfeeding but ran into some diffculty with her latching and being able to obtain enough milk so am pumping and bottle feeding her the breast milk.  We are also trying out formula once a day in case something would happen to my milk.  Does anyone else do this?  If so can you let me know your game plan.  I kind of feel like a failure not being able to breastfeed consistantly and would like some support from someone who went through this as well. 

I appreciate the feedback and look forward to talking with you all!!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Hang in there girl...we've all been there and you can do it. :) 

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
It's not easy being a new mom. All your anxiety is normal. I had a lot of anxiety too. If it gets worse though mention it to your dr.
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Welcome! I am glad you have such great support! I had a lot of those fears as a new mom as well!
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM

First, if you can, stop supplementing with formula. Your body only makes what it's told is needed, so the less you're pumping/feeding straight from the breast, the less milk your body will make and then you'll eventually be forced to switch entirely to formula.

Second, oh momma, you are so not alone in feeling anxious. It's completely normal and does get better with time. One thing I might suggest is to try taking one day while your husband is at work, to do it all yourself. It'll be hard, scary, and overwhelming. But what I found really helped me in my fears was to actually do it all by myself. Once I made it through the day and we were both alive and at least somewhat sane, I knew I could do it. I knew I could handle it. And things started getting easier because I was less worried about my abilities to take care of my child.

Good luck! You can do this! And congratulations!

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM

It's normal to feel emotional or anxious in the begining.  Some of it's new mom jitters and some of it's your hormones.  If it doesn't continue getting better talk to your doctor but at this point it sounds pretty normal.  Try to relax, you can do this   :)

As for the problems breastfeeding, I'm sorry you had so much difficulty in the begining it can be really frustrating.  I wouldn't give up on nursing at the breast just yet.  Keep putting her to the breast before you offer her any pumped milk, see if you can get her to latch.  Breastfeeding will be some much easier if you can get her to latch.  Have you talked to a lactation consultant?  If you want help getting her to latch you could also try posting in the breastfeeding group here on cafemom.  The ladies there are super informative and helpful and there are several lactation consultants and nurses in there who I'm sure could give you some helpful advice.  If in the end you never get her to latch don't feel bad.  Pumped milk is still really good for baby.  I would stay away from formula if I were you.  It's really not anywhere near as good as breastmilk for you baby and even just a bottle a day can cause constipation and other digestive issues.  Also every ounce of formula you give her is an ouce of breastmilk your telling your body not to make.  If you want to successfully be able to exclusivly pump your going to want to do everything possible to keep your supply up.

Anyway, if your interested in checking out the breastfeeding group here's the link:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

Also here's a link to a website that has a lot of really great information on pumping:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/exclusive-pumping/

Crissy2424
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Hang in there! You are being a normal new mom! I have my one and only daughter who is 4. She did okay breast feeding, but because of back issues due to sports and my breast size I could only do it for about 5 months. She did well with baby food and formula. I did and still do sometimes worry about her health even though she is a typical healthy child. Just lean on your family, but also learn to listen to your gut. Also, the pedi has been a great source of information about my daughter. *hugs*

chrissydan
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Anxiety is so normal I still have it from time to time dd is 10. Montha old.

The breastfeeding group. Has some great resources that you may find helpfull
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
You sound just like me when I had my daughter. I ended up exclusively pumping. I never needed to use formula be use I had a great supply. Like a pp recommended the exclusively pumping group on here is great! I also got a lot of good info from www.kellymom.com. My best pumping recommendations are to get a hands free bra, look up how long milk can sit out nd stay good (I used to be able to leave a freshly pumped bottle out t room temp for the 3am feeding and it saved me from having to warm up a bottle), and get extra membranes (the white little plastic piece on the pump part that connects the bottle to the horn) because when they tear you lose suction so sometimes they need replaced
AlexandrasMom21
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Thank you! Yes, I've been to lacatation a few times and called a million lol I have stopped using formula since I posted this and you all have helped make me feel not alone!

Quoting cabrandy03:

It's normal to feel emotional or anxious in the begining.  Some of it's new mom jitters and some of it's your hormones.  If it doesn't continue getting better talk to your doctor but at this point it sounds pretty normal.  Try to relax, you can do this   :)

As for the problems breastfeeding, I'm sorry you had so much difficulty in the begining it can be really frustrating.  I wouldn't give up on nursing at the breast just yet.  Keep putting her to the breast before you offer her any pumped milk, see if you can get her to latch.  Breastfeeding will be some much easier if you can get her to latch.  Have you talked to a lactation consultant?  If you want help getting her to latch you could also try posting in the breastfeeding group here on cafemom.  The ladies there are super informative and helpful and there are several lactation consultants and nurses in there who I'm sure could give you some helpful advice.  If in the end you never get her to latch don't feel bad.  Pumped milk is still really good for baby.  I would stay away from formula if I were you.  It's really not anywhere near as good as breastmilk for you baby and even just a bottle a day can cause constipation and other digestive issues.  Also every ounce of formula you give her is an ouce of breastmilk your telling your body not to make.  If you want to successfully be able to exclusivly pump your going to want to do everything possible to keep your supply up.

Anyway, if your interested in checking out the breastfeeding group here's the link:

Also here's a link to a website that has a lot of really great information on pumping:

AlexandrasMom21
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Also the link to bf pumping helped me SO much!!!!!! It basically answered all of my questions!

Quoting AlexandrasMom21:

Thank you! Yes, I've been to lacatation a few times and called a million lol I have stopped using formula since I posted this and you all have helped make me feel not alone!

Quoting cabrandy03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement