Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Nursing Bras

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 149 Total Views

Nursing bra buying guide

Getting started

Getting started

Nursing bras look like regular bras, but the cups open or lower when you pull them aside, or unsnap, unzip, or unhook the closure. It's convenient (but not essential) that you be able to open the cup for nursing quickly and simply with one hand. (You might be holding your hungry baby with the other. If you can close it one-handed, too, that's even better.)

Whichever style you choose, proper fit is the key to comfort. Besides being uncomfortable, a bra that fits poorly may put pressure on your milk ducts, which can cause them to get plugged and lead to inflammation in the breast.

Many women buy the wrong-size nursing bra. A common mistake is to buy a larger band size but the same cup size you wear when you're not pregnant. In fact, some women can stay with their original band size. The rib cage expands during pregnancy, but usually not enough to require a larger band size (although everyone is different). Some women may want to go up a band size for comfort. That's fine as long as your bra has plenty of adjustment hooks in the back.

Most women will need a larger cup size during pregnancy. Wear what you find most comfortable and supportive--either a larger regular bra, a maternity bra, or a nursing bra that you buy early. Just as with nursing bras, an expert fitter can help you with maternity bras.

Depending on the manufacturer, cup sizes can range from A through D, then DD, DDD, E, F, G, H, and I. Another mistake, experts say, is that women may not invest in good-quality nursing bras since they don't think they'll be using them for long. Since this is a time when you most need extra support, it's worth the investment to get something that will help you and keep you comfortable.

A professional fitting will ensure a comfortable fit and the correct size. Try on bras for size and feel, and practice with nursing pads in place. After you've bought one properly fitting bra, you can order more of the same style and size online or from a catalog. Many websites offer competitive deals.

Best for breasts

Tempted to use your regular bra for nursing instead of a nursing bra? That's one cost-saving measure you don't want to make. Regular bras aren't designed for nursing and may not give you the extra support you need to be comfortable. And lifting your regular bra up over your breast to nurse can put a lot of pressure on breast tissue.

Recommendations

The best nursing bras are comfortable and offer good support but don't bind breasts in any way that could interfere with milk flow. For optimum support, the band and the straps should be made of nonstretchy fabric. But cups should have some "give" to accommodate your changing breast size at different phases of nursing.

Look for bras that are 100 percent cotton or a blend of cotton and Lycra or other stretchy synthetic. Since the right bra size is important and can help reduce the risk of breast-feeding complications, such as clogged milk ducts, shop at a maternity store or boutique that has an experienced bra fitter.

Your ultimate goal should be to find a nursing bra that gives you good support and feels comfortable. With a little experimenting and patience, your nursing bra will become something you don't think about that often, just like your regular bra.

Do you have any hints about nursing bras?

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM

When I was pregnant I had bought mine at motherhood maternity, but they are expensive.

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I've been breastfeeding for over 2 years and I've never owned a nursing bra, I prefer  regular bras.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM

The best ones I found were at Motherhood.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I got some nursing camis from Target. I got 5, I think. 2 white, a black, a beige & gray. They were SO comfy, and I didn't have to worry about cup size - especially since it felt like they changed based on how full they were.

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Thanks for sharing!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I really like the nursing tanks from Target.

I have gotten Medela & Anita nursing bras.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I had to order some online
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement