Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Breastfeeding Challenges-and Solutions

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 121 Total Views

by Beth M. Iovinelli, RN, BSN, IBCLC

Poor Latch

Getting Baby to latch (the word used for attaching her mouth to your nipple) properly is the key to a good breastfeeding experience. In fact, many challenges can be avoided if you get the hang of this first. Why? A poor latch at the breast will cause discomfort and can make your nipples sore or even crack or bleed. And a poorly latched baby will not be able to remove milk efficiently-it's a bummer for you AND Baby!

A poor latch is usually one that is too shallow. When your baby does not have enough of the breast in her mouth, she will be sucking on just the nipple, rather than keeping her mouth wide and far back onto the areola. This is what causes soreness.

Good latch pointers:

• Get as much help as you can when you are in the hospital from your nurse and/ or lactation consultant. Have them show you how to position yourself and the baby. Ask them to check on you several times to make sure you are latching well.
  • Before each feeding, make sure you are comfortable: Empty your bladder, get some water for sipping, and take your time getting into position.
  • To improve the latch, make sure Baby is awake and ready to nurse before feeding. Start by un-swaddling her and changing her diaper. Now she is ready to feed.
  • Your baby's mouth needs to be open wide for a proper latch. You can tickle her upper lip with your nipple to get her mouth to open. Once her mouth is open, bring her into your breast.
  • A good latch should feel comfortable-like a strong tug or pull. If the latch feels like she is pinching or biting you, remove her from the breast by breaking the suction with your finger and re-latch.
  • Check to see that your baby's lips are flanged out and that her mouth is back on the areola-not just grasping the nipple.
  • You want to make sure your baby is really drinking at the breast and not just nuzzling. Nuzzling is fine-just make sure that she is drinking first (listen for swallows) to insure that she is getting enough to eat. If she is just nuzzling or suckling when you think she is eating, she will probably come off the breast and not be satisfied.
Click here to see photos of how to get Baby latched properly.

Did you have trouble getting baby to latch properly?
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I did have trouble at first, and not being successful with getting a good latch was part of why I quit BFing. At this point I wish I would have stuck with it but nothing I can do about it now. But she had such a poor latch that my nipples were scabbed over and bleeding and it was extrememly painful to nurse her. And I was using the lanolin cream.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I did struggle with latching.  She was just so tiny!

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM

There wasn't a latch problem, but it was still very painful at first. The best thing that helped me was lanolin and consistency. It always hurt worse when I let too much time go between feedings. :)

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Great info!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Tfs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement