Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Terrible Twos?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 2954 Total Views

My son is 18 months old. He has always been a fairly stubborn child, but these past few months have been horrid. A few months ago, he started to whine ... A LOT!, close to all day long ... and it has yet to stop. The next thing he does is if he's told "no" over something he wants to do, he will either throw something or plop down on the ground and scream. I feel like he's frustrated with not being able to talk most of the time. I have tried so much with him. We read at least once a day, if he will sit still, sing songs, I name objects that he points at, we look at his wall in his bedroom with the alphabet on it, etc. 

His napping and sleeping habbits have started to change too. His napping used to be one nap a day for about 2 hours. Now I'm lucky if he sleeps 45 minutes. Then at bedtime, he used to play in his crib for about 30 min before falling asleep, but now, he's in there for over an hour throwing his binky across the room and then screaming bloody murder until I rush into the room to give it back to him and rinse/repeat for another hour or so, until finally he passes out. 

I'm so frustrated with him right now. As it is, we don't ever get breaks, even though my mom is always telling me she would if she lived on her own... But it just sucks. We don't get a break from him except for once every 2-3 months. And by then we are so beyond frustrated and exhausted with him that we just end up passing out the whole day we have off. 

I'm not sure how to help him and our situation. I'm venting but at the same time, just feel like I'm losing my mind. We try to do something that is in our immediate area every day, since we don't have another car and we don't have the option money wise for bus fare. SO I've been taking him to the park, the pool, for walks around the neighborhood, as much as I can every day. But it all seems to annoy him. It feels like he's always whining... 

Does anyone else have this or know what I can do? Any kind of information or help would be greatly appreciated. I love my son, but he drives me nuts sometimes... And I feel horrid for saying that.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Do you have a schedule?

Is he bored?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Maybe he is sick?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Toxic_Fool
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Yes, we definitely have a schedule and if he's bored I don't know what more I can do for him. I'm limited in where we can go and what we can do. Money and transportation are a major issue. I try to keep him active and playful throughout the day with what we have available in close proximity to us. But like I mentioned, it never seems to make him happy. He's gotten all his teeth in already so I know it's not that.. I'm at a loss.

Quoting kmqw229:

Do you have a schedule?

Is he bored?

Toxic_Fool
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Nope not sick, he hasn't been sick for a while now.

Quoting kmqw229:

Maybe he is sick?

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM
That is hard. :/

Maybe he is not sleeping enough. Have you tried laying down with him for a nap?

Quoting Toxic_Fool:

Yes, we definitely have a schedule and if he's bored I don't know what more I can do for him. I'm limited in where we can go and what we can do. Money and transportation are a major issue. I try to keep him active and playful throughout the day with what we have available in close proximity to us. But like I mentioned, it never seems to make him happy. He's gotten all his teeth in already so I know it's not that.. I'm at a loss.

Quoting kmqw229:

Do you have a schedule?

Is he bored?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissydan
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Im going through a simaler. Situatin with dd for sleeping issued its so aggravating espically when there is lack of communcation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I felt like 18 months was a hard age. They want independence but are still too little to be at all reasonable. Sorry you ate having a hard time.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Does he sign at all? That can make a huge difference with the frustration in not being able to communicate... Might be worth a try.

It is a tough age because they really are just starting to want more independence than they're ready for. Just stay consistent, redirect him whenever you can, and keep working on those communication skills.
JTE11
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Yes, my DD is 2.5 and I do remember the time around 18 months as being particularly challenging, with a lot of screaming and falling down and sleep issues. It should pass eventually, so don't give up naps or change your routines because he still needs the security of the routine (especially sleep routines) even if he fights it right now. As far as the whining, I would just not accept it or acknowledge it, meaning that if he wants something he needs to tell you the name of the thing or at least point to it. DD tries to whine on occasion and I just tell her I can't understand what she is saying unless she says it the right way and sometimes she has a fit and sometimes she will stop and say it the right way. Just kind of let the whining pass, don't make a big deal out of it, just let him know you can't understand him and then try to give him a better way to say it. He could be gearing up for a developmental leap in speech, kids usually have a huge leap from 18-24 months and sometimes their brains go a little haywire gearing up for those leaps. I always know when DD is going to gain more speech because she gets cranky and her sleep is messed from for days or a few weeks beforehand. Just try to ride it out, he's not doing it to be abrasive, he's probably just feeling irritable. Good luck. :)

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM
You sound like how I feel right now! He may need more activity during the day. I found our best days are days he has gotten to run around playing with other kids. I also recently made play dough for my son and he loves it. It's inexpensive to make and edible incase he decides to eat it. Also finger paints, sensory bins, busy bags are all things to help keep them busy.

My son was napping twice a day. I just switched him to 1 nap a day and a later bedtime. He has started wanting me to rock him to sleep again. Instead of letting that happen or his screaming I sit next to his crib and rub his leg until he relaxes and falls asleep.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement