Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Breast Feeding

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 428 Total Views

Poll

Question: Which do you prefer: Breastfeeding, Breastpump/Breast milk in bottles, Breastfeeding and Breastpump, Formula, or Mix of All?

Options:

Breastfeeding

Breastpump/Breast milk in bottles

Breastfeeding and Breastpump

Formula

Mix of All

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

I plan to breastfeed, as well as use a breast pump and store milk and use bottles. no formula, just breast milk. I was wondering if this is a good idea or any advice about this will be helpful. How long should I breastfeed? I am a first time mommy so any help would be great. thank you.

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissydan
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I personly found breastfeeding so much easier I tried to pump and was work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alison247
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Well I plan to mostly just breastfeed. But occasionally use the breast pump. Just curious, I am new to all of this, what were your problems with the breast pump?

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Going the breast feeling group :) they will add to the advice and support we can and will give you here. Congrats on the baby :).
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I think that breastfeeding & pumping are a great idea. If possible, you should wait about a month to start pumping so that your milk supply is established.

When baby is first born you will only produce colustrum right away and It will take a few days for your milk to fully come in. It is very normal.

If you don't want to use formula in the hospital, make sure you let them know right off the bat.

Remember that a breastfeed baby needs 1oz per hour away from mom, and never more than 3oz bottles.

How long you bf just depends on you, your child & your lifestyle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Great idea!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Going the breast feeling group :) they will add to the advice and support we can and will give you here. Congrats on the baby :).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I had problem bfing my dd and ended up exclusively pumping for about 14 months. It was a lot of work but worth it to give her only breast milk.
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Sounds good to me.  My only advice is wait a few weeks before introducing the bottle.  Those first few weeks are a really important learning process for both you and baby.  Introducing a bottle during that time can cause nipple confusion and can cause major problems with breastfeeding so just wait a few weeks and then it should be fine.  Also just know that breastfeeding can be frustrating and even a little painful in the beginning but is totally worth it in the end.  Once you get past those first few weeks it becomes so easy.

As for how long you should breastfeed, that's totally up to you.  The World Health Organization recomends a minimum of two years.  The American Acadamy of Pediatrics recommends a minimum of one year or as long past that as both mom and child mutually want to continue.  My daughter is 2 and still nursing a couple times a day.  Just pick a goal your comfortable with and shoot for that and if when you get there you feel like you'd like to keep going, pick a new goal (my original goal was 6 months).

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Good for you!! Exclusively pumping is super hard work!!

Quoting sara_7106:

I had problem bfing my dd and ended up exclusively pumping for about 14 months. It was a lot of work but worth it to give her only breast milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alison247
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Thanks ladies this is really helpful. And inspiring.

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Thanks! I may have tried harder to get a good latch/feeding if I had known how much work it was going to be...lol, but you get a system down and it just becomes your routine. I'm hoping for better success this time around.

Quoting kmqw229:

Good for you!! Exclusively pumping is super hard work!!

Quoting sara_7106:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement