Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Would You Ever Cloth Diaper?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies
  • 21883 Total Views

I started out diapering with disposables when my son was born but he ended up being allergic to them. After many months of desperately trying to get his diaper rash under control we made the switch and in ONE DAY his rash was gone and never came back. I have nothing against using disposable diapers. They are convenient and easy. That can make a world of difference for people. But I thought I'd give you my top six reasons for using cloth just in case you were thinking about trying it out.

1.  Money:  This is especially true if you are planning on more than one child or diapering two kids at the same time. We bought a few extra diapers for Plum when she arrived but that was it. There are a ton of affordable diaper shops. You can even make your own if you sew. Second hand diaper swaps are everywhere. You don't have to buy the really expensive diapers but even if you do, it's still cheaper in the end. 

2. Diaper rash:  Mr. Pants was allergic to the disposable diapers.  But Plum is not. She has had two diaper rashes in her whole life. One when we discovered her milk allergy and the other from antibiotics. We have never had to use a diaper cream on her beyond those two times. It's kind of amazing.

3. The environment:  It's better for the environment.

4. They are so cute: When my friends were telling me that it's addicting to cloth diaper I was all, "Mmm-hmm, suuuure, dudes" but it turns out that fluffy bums are the cutest darn thing you will ever see.  

5. Its Easy: This is the biggest fear that people have, I think. That there is so much work involved. There really isn't, though. You let the poop roll off into the toilet and then toss the diaper in a pail. Rinse, wash, rinse and dry. I find that never having to run to the store to buy diapers makes up for the twenty seconds of holding your nose when you dump the pail into the washer. That's as gross as it gets. 

6. Poop Neck: You know what I'm talking about, right? When they literally poop all the way up to their necks? Those poops that have to end with a bath? They almost never exist with cloth diapers. The poop actually stays IN the diaper. This is especially exciting when your family is all hit by the stomach flu one week before Christmas. 

What do you think about cloth diapers?  Would you try them out? If you do use them- Do you love them or hate them?

Image credit:  C. Thoele

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2one29
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I cloth diaper. Here are my Pros and Cons.

Pros- Cloth diapers are super cute, they seem more comfortable for my child. They can save you money.

Cons- Swishing poo in the toilet. Having to do extra laundry.. Special diaper creams and laundry soap. My child has still had rashes with cloth diapers.

I have my good and bad days with cloth diapers. Sometimes I am not in the mood to deal with the washing,hang drying,folding,stuffing of the diapers. Sometimes I am not in the mood to deal with a huge poopy blow outs. I have disposables on hand when I need to use Non cloth friendly diaper creams.. 

My stash mainly consists of Bumgenius pocket,free time,flip covers. Charlie bannana,rumparooz,kawaii. For disposables I love Honest company.

chrissydan
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I wanted to nut hubbs said no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KGanger
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I use disposables rather than cloth diapers. I don't find anything wrong with them, I just don't have the patience to taking care of cloth diapers compared to disposables.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I think both cloth and disposable diapers have their advantages, and I won't fault someone for choosing one over the other.

I will say that I have friends who did the money math, and with startup costs and constant laundry, cloth is not always cheaper... And then there's the time commitment. But of course it can be less expensive, depending on your situation, and less trash does go into the landfill. So really, to each their own.

I think we can all agree that cloth diapers are much cuter, though! ;-)
wandep
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM

When my babies were little we had regular diapers. Didn't do the cloth diapers. They didn't have the cute ones they do now. I don't think I would have bothered with them anyways because of the extra washing.

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I cloth diapered and would never do it any other way.  There are so many nasty chemicals in disposable diapers.  I don't want any of that stuff touching my baby's skin, I also care deeply about the environment and diapers are one of the biggest and worst contributors to landfills.  They also saved us sooooo much money and they are so much cuter then disposables!

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think they're fine.  I didn't use them but don't see anything wrong with them.  There are a lot of pros to using them   :)

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:59 PM
We use cloth most of the time. The only time we don't is night time and overnight trips. It has saved us a lot of money!
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Thursday at 11:46 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM

We did not :)

Walker88
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I've used them, and loved them except the laundry part. I just don't have time with everything to wash dry and re-stuff diapers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement