Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Co-Sleeping Saved My Sanity!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies
  • 14842 Total Views

Now co-sleeping or bed sharing is most definitely not for everyone. Some parents dig it. Some parents don't. There are babies that do better in cribs or prefer the no-contact sleep. There are some babies born with Velcro on their bellies (Oh hello, daughter!) or colic or reflux or something that makes sleep more difficult. And there is every kind of baby in between. For us, co-sleeping started out as survival, plain and simple. My son was my first baby and I had planned on having him in a basinet in the room with me for the first three months and then moving him into his own crib, in his own room. That's the way I had seen it done in many families and it worked for them. So I didn't think about it much. But then I brought my baby home from the hospital and everything I thought that I thought was blown out of the water.  

I read articles and books on bed sharing. I needed some relief from the exhaustion because it didn't matter where my baby slept; he only slept for forty five minutes to an hour. Like ever. Whether in the bassinet, in the co-sleeper in the bed, in the crib for naptime, in the bouncer, stroller and even the floor. It just didn't matter where you put him. He had a limit. And when time was up, so was he. So he never left the co-sleeper in our bed (until he outgrew it and then was just in the bed). I tried bringing the crib in our room.  Then I turned the crib into a side car of the bed. Finally one day after about six or so months of trying this and that and everything else, I said to myself, "What am I doing? Just let it be and quit worrying about it" and the rest is history.

We had officially become a bed sharing family.

I remember believing before I brought my baby home that co-sleeping was somehow dangerous. And it can be if done wrong. Just like it is dangerous to leave a baby in a rickety or broken crib. If co-sleeping/bed sharing is something you are interested in, be sure to follow the safety advice and guidlines here and happy sleeping!

How do you feel about bed sharing? Have you ever tried it? Did you love it or hate it?   

Image © iStock/oksun70

by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I have nothing against it but for us it just doesn't work. I wanted it too but my son sleeps 12 hours away from me and has for 2 years now.
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

we had him sleeping in our room in his own crib till we got a bigger bed. A full size matress and to adults left no room to safely share with a newborn. we did bed share on and off ove rthe years though and he did sleep in his crib and own bed on and off too. It was mainly just what worked best for that night type of a thing. He is now almost five and is fully in his own bed everynight all night. the new baby will co sleep with us from the start too. 

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I started out with my baby in a basinette (a co-sleeper). Now she is one & is super moble so I have her crib right next to my bed. She starts out the night in her crib but when she wakes up in the middle of the night I just pull her into bed with me. I found co-sleeping & bed sharing a necessity because I breastfeed. No one else can feed my dd but me so I don't get any help. I have to do what I have to do to get some sleep otherwise I'll go crazy. If she were formula fed I think I would have her set up in her own room so me & my dh could take turns feeding her. Most people give me a hard time about it when they hear that she sleeps with me but they don't seem to understand since I don't know many moms who breastfed longer than a few months.

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Our son slept in our bed with us until he was 2 months old. It was the only way we were able to get sleep. He wouldn't sleep anywhere else.
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

We bedshared until dd was about 18 months old and I wouldn't ever want to do it any other way.  Dd and I both got so much more sleep that way and it made breast feeding so much easier.  I loved getting to snuggle with dd all night, it worked really well for us.

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I only did it if he was sick or something like that. Sometimes at nap time too. 

akingsmom
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I thought he would go in his brand spanking new crib. Didn't happen. He got sick wasnt sleeping n neither was I so I brought him in with us.He has been in my bed his whole life n I'm catching hell trying to get him out two yrs later smh.
slgilliam
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM

My daughter refused to sleep in her crib as well. Sometimes when she was younger I could get her to sleep in the bassinet attached to my pack n play. But that is kept in my living room. I bought a bassinet for the bedroom that she would sometimes sleep in as well but I also resorted to just putting her in bed with me so I could get some sleep.

She is now 6 months old and a majority of the time she will sleep in her bassinet but she still refuses to sleep in the her crib. My husband was deployed for the first 5 months so I did resort to whatever was easiest for both our sake's.

ProudMommaBear
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I do it from time to time. I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it but my DD kicks, rolls, and everything else you could imagine lol so Iusually wake up really sore, and really crabby when she sleeps in my bed... she usually sleeps form 10pm-8am and has since 2mo so it's never been a big issue... but hse does have her bad nights.

Sister_Someone
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I had to for the first year of my son's life. The only way I would have been able to fit a crib or a bassinet in the trailer was to ditch either the dining table or my own bed. He slept in a padded laundry basket on the table when I was awake, but I didn't think it would be safe to leave him there while I'm asleep, so sharing my bed it was.

I HATED it. He was a kicker and I'm a light sleeper and very fair-skinned. I looked like a victim of major abuse more often than not during that year, not to mention that actual restful sleep was the next thing to impossible. I couldn't kick him out of there soon enough when I started college and moved us across the country and into an actual apartment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement