Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Don't Forget to Remember the Bad Stuff

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 34603 Total Views

When most people think about baby milestones, they tend to focus on the good things: first smile, first word, first step, and--my personal favorite--first time sleeping through the night. It's natural to want to remember the best parts of our kids' childhoods, but I'd argue it's also important to remember the not-so-great parts. I wouldn't even call them "negative milestones," I'd just call them part of growing up. 

The easiest way for me to keep track of what my kids did when is by taking photos, whether with my fancy DSLR or my camera phone, so that's why you'll hear the click of a shutter just as often when my kids are getting into trouble as when they're being their sweetest selves.

Here are some unexpected milestones that have made it into my kids' baby books: 

• First time caught eating cat food
  • First time unravelling a whole roll of toilet paper
  • First time getting stuck under a piece of furniture while learning how to crawl
  • First time climbing onto something they shouldn't climb onto
  • First time climbing out of something they shouldn't climb out of (the crib at 19 months, OMG)
  • First bloody lip (unrelated to crib-climbing incident)
  • First time biting into a raw onion (what? he insisted!)

Here are some things I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to but am definitely expecting. And you can bet I'll have my camera at the ready:

• First time cutting their own hair
  • First time getting into my makeup
  • First time using permanent markers as makeup
  • First time climbing onto the counter in search of cookies

Hopefully you won't have anything too serious or scary happen during your baby's first year, but I believe being able to take the little mistakes and mishaps in stride early on is good practice for when they're older and hitting milestones like First trip to the emergency room after falling out of a tree. I can't wait. (Not.)

Do you keep track of your baby's not-so-great milestones? What's the worst trouble your baby has gotten him/herself into during the first year?

Image © iStock/CareyHope

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

haha. i never really htought of it that way. we certainly joke about and remember them, but i'm not sure they are recorded in pictures. we do have a pic of my ds when he fell asleep on his little potty. total blackmail for the future. ;)

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM

We have pictures of dd's first skinned knee, first time she cut her own hair, and a really great one of dd when she knocked a whole rack of clothes that were drying on top of herself.  I try to document all the milestones even the not so great ones!

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I don't remember whether or not we took pictures of any of that. I do have video of when she unrolled an entire (full) roll of paper towels throughout the whole house. And I never covered up where she drew on the wall with a Sharpie.

And ugh. She finally cut her hair on her own. I thought we might have skipped that one, but I was wrong. And I recently found the hair she cut (she hid it) and now it's in a ziploc bag and taped to her baby book.

susham
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:45 AM
As always babies are special.So whatever they do ,good,bad are considered Special.So,comes the little mishaps and mistakes are to be looked after.I was talking to the laundry man and within sec my little one year walked out of the gate.A speeding cyclists girl stopped him from walking ahead n i was flabbergusted. yes,i had to be careful then on.
TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I remember them all!

Rushn311
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:05 AM

LMAO! That's funny. I didn't keep track of those things by book but in my memory for sure ;)

arpazia
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Lol!
A few. That's not a bad idea
sukainah
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Those are funny. I don't think I've ever caught anything really bad on a photo.  Just messy faces and things like that.

foodie.at.heart
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM

UGH  DS cut his own hair a while back.  Not sure what they are thinking when they do this!

Miranda1127
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM

lol, yes I do. DD was my little trouble maker. Every time I turned my back that kid was into something. So naturally, I had to fetch my camera. 

Notice the turned over laundry basket in addition to he powder art. So much for mommy peeing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement