Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Pets and Kids

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 277 Total Views

I just read an awesome article about the benefit of having a pet in your home. Studies have actually shown that having a pet friendly home may actually make your child healthier! This was so refreshing for me to read because our dog is like our first child and people were giving me false insecurities about having him around the baby. What are some of your thoughts about pets and kids? Be sure to check out this article for a great side by side comparison!

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM
We had two cats and a dog when we had our son. My pup and son are like two pees in a pod lol have been since day one. One of our cats even took to our son and would not leave his side the first six months
Kazmira222
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM
We have a Scotty dog, three cats and a hamster hahaa
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM

We have a Chihuahua that is like another child to me, we've had him for almost 6 years now and he does great with my 2 year old.  He's a little hesitant sometimes because she can be a little rough with him but he is nothing but loving to her and so protective.

tnunley
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM

We had 2 big dogs and 3 cats before the kids are born.  I never worried about them getting along.  Since the kids, we have added 4 chickens!  My two yo helps feeds the cats, brushes the dogs (kinda lol) and will help me get eggs from the coop.  It was touch and go for my dd to be gentle with the pets.  Now she does very well.  Now I am teaching my 18mo that tails aren't for pulling!  lol  But they are use to the toddlers by now!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Vertical15
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Our pets and our kids are best friends!  The dog lays there and the kids lay on her.  The cat sometimes lets the kids carry her around.  They all love to cuddle.

momofsixangels
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

We have 3 cats, a hamster and a bearded dragon. I say having the cats has really made my ds (16) more loving.At least to them. There is one cat he is really attached to.We got Eddie a couple of weeks after my fil died in 2009.My ds holds him,kisses him and talks to him

mamavalor
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM

We didn't have any pets until our kids got a little older.  Glad we did because we found out that DD1 was allergic to dogs and cats.  Also, we heard too many horror stories from co-workers, friends, and neighbors about the family dog biting or being rough with their babies. 

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

We had rodents when she was born. Then we were petless for a while and now we have rodents again. All 3 of us would love a dog, but we have basically no yard right now thanks to our pool. One day...

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I always grew up with dogs and I think it's so important for kids to be around animals.  The boys always grew up with dogs too.  They're part of the family   :)

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Our pets are our joy, and our kids have learned so much about responsibility and compassion by caring for them and loving them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement