Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Why It's Easier to Make Your Own Baby Food

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies
  • 34351 Total Views

My first baby was born in December, which means by the time he started eating solid foods, we were at the peak of produce season. What we couldn't grow in our tiny backyard garden, we bought at the grocery store and then served up fresh with the help of this handy-dandy little manual food mill. (It's a Munchkin brand, but there are many different versions out there.)

Back before I had kids, I balked at the idea of making baby food when it seemed so much more convenient to just buy it. Yes, I was an advocate of breastfeeding and babywearing and other things people might associate with hippy moms, but I was going to draw a hard line at turning my kitchen into a processing plant for infant purees.

That was obviously before I knew how expensive baby food can be AND before I knew how quick and easy it was to make baby food with the manual hand mill. Ours cost under $10, and we definitely got our money's worth and then some. You can get the same job done with a regular food processor, if you have one, but clean-up won't be as easy, and you can't throw a big plug-in machine into your purse and take it out to a restaurant.

And whether you're out and about or just eating at home, I can't overstate the convenience of being able to feed the baby a mashed-up version of what the rest of the family is eating. Green beans, peas, sweet potato, squash, peaches and pears, you name it. 

My second son isn't a fan of being spoon-fed, but he loves his purees in pouch form. If your baby likes those newfangled pouches too, you can buy a set of resuable ones and fill them with your own homemade mixtures fresh from your food mill. Hooray for technology! 

Who knew making my own baby food would be so cheap and easy and convenient? Not me, but I'm glad I figured it out.

Do you make your own baby food?

Image via Amazon.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM

i tried making my own, but with my ds texture issues i could never get it smooth enough for him. even the magic bullete was no match for his discerning tongue. lol. thankfully wic covered just about all the baby food we needed. if i had it to do again though, i wouldn't do baby food. just baby led solids and straight to table foods.

SaraBethKY
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I would really like to. My friend runs a blog about parenting and she is really into it so I'll be looking to her for advice. She works full time as a teacher and was also taking classes for her Master's dregree, so it can't be all that time consuming I am guessing. She seems to have a really good system.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I did. We got a Magic Bullet when we got married and I just used that. I steamed the food for a few minutes and used the water I steamed it in to help blend. In about 10-15 minutes, I could have a week's worth of meals made, for about the same cost as 2 jars of Gerber.

kryysteez
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Its got to be better for the children too.  Good post Mom. 

Vertical15
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I bought it with my first but then my second and third we made our own.  So much easier and cheaper!  Plus I could make a fun variety and make the correct portion sizes as opposed to having half a jar leftover all the time.

FarinsMommy
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

i still have a month before my DD eats real food but we have the baby brezza up in her closet. it steems and purees it all in one and makes enough food for a week. i cant wait to use it and get out her high chair :)

Froglili
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I have really enjoyed making my daughter's baby food and am actually a little sad that she is quickly loosing interest in purees. I really get a kick out of the wide range of foods my child eats. Out at a restaurant with some friends some one tried to give my daughter a small piece of a cheap processed cheeseburger and she wouldn't even take it yet she was eating beet hummus with chicken and fennel salad with a spinach dressing.

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I didn't but really should have

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I didn't because we got most of the baby food we needed through WIC. I might next time though.
4kidz916
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM

It wasn't "in" to make baby food when my kids were babies so I never did.  I would make my own if I had a baby now though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement