Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

I Gave My Disinfectant Away: Cleaning House Naturally

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 32088 Total Views

I was never a huge clean freak before I had kids. But I kept a neat and tidy house. I liked to have things look homey.  And I liked my house to smell nice. Scratch that, I was obsessed with my house smelling nice.  When I brought home my new baby though, I kicked into the highest gear. I was hyper conscious of the clutter and dirt everywhere.  I even begged my husband for a maid when I knew that was way outside of our budget.  And something else was suddenly an issue. I didn't want to use my old stand by cleaners. Suddenly the words "toxic",  "poison" and "keep out of reach of children" glared at me from the bottles of all-purpose cleaner.

So I gave my cleaners away and started using the basics. Baking soda, dish soap and vinegar/club soda all-purpose solution became my staples.  It felt great to remove those chemicals from the house. I was happy knowing that I could spray down a surface and clean it without first taking baby away from the area to be cleaned. I could wipe up messes on the floor and I didn't worry that babe was crawling through right behind me. I mean, a baby will lick a floor (That wasn't just my baby right?).  Anyway, I was hooked on natural cleaning.  

But the one thing that I didn't love about cleaning with natural cleaner is that it never made my house smell good. I mean sure, it smelled better than a dirty house, but you know what I mean. There was no delicious or clean smelling scent left behind. And everything at the store came in an aerosol  can with all those words I don't like. Toxic, Keep out of reach of children etc.  So I started experimenting with candles but I never really found one that worked great. Then I tried some warming oils and I liked them well enough. But then last summer I read a few different blogs about making natural air fresheners and I was hooked on trying them out. Here is one of the best blogs I have found on the subject.  And the rest, as they say, is history. I started jarring natural air fresheners about 8 months ago and I am in love.

Do you or have you ever wanted to make your own cleaners? Do you have a favorite natural cleaning trick?

Image © iStock/ brookebecker

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I make my own laundry detergent and I usually just use vinegar to clean.  I try to be 'green' and natural whenever possible.

For scent, add some EOs!  Essential oils, there are so many to choose from and many add their own benefits to the cleaners, too!

Vertical15
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Lemon essential oil

Made by cold pressing the rind of fresh lemons, lemon essential oil smells intoxicatingly like a fresh, ripe lemon. Add a few drops to your favorite homemade cleaners to infuse the scent of lemon throughout your home. It will give your home that distinct Pine-Sol lemon smell without any of the nasty chemicals. Lemon essential oil can also help brighten and remove stains. Add a few drops to a gallon of water when mopping your white tile floors, or use it with your homemade laundry detergent to brighten white clothes.

Vertical15
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Peppermint essential oil

With its refreshing minty scent and powerful antibacterial properties, peppermint essential oil is a perfect complement to homemade cleaning products. Add a few drops to your favorite homemade spray cleaners and spritz the mixture on areas that need particular antibacterial attention, like bathrooms and kitchens. As an added bonus, peppermint also acts as a natural pest deterrent.

Also, don’t be afraid to mix your essential oils to create aromatic blends. Peppermint mixes especially well with other essential oils popular for cleaning, including lavender, eucalyptus, lemon and rosemary.

Vertical15

Tea tree essential oil

Made from the Australian Melaleuca tree, tea tree essential oil offers antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal properties. It works especially well to get rid of mildew and mold around the house. Simply mix two teaspoons tea tree oil with two cups water in a spray bottle. Then, spritz the mixture on moldy or mildewy areas, like showers. Don’t rinse off the mixture. Let it work away at those yucky substances. You can also use this spray anywhere that has a musty smell.

Tea tree can add a lovely, medicinal smell to your cleaning products. Add a few drops to a bucket of soapy water before you mop your floor to permeate its distinctive scent throughout your home. Or, add several drops to your favorite homemade laundry detergent to give your clothes a fresh, therapeutic scent.

Vertical15
1 mom liked this
louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I use a lot of things to clean like baking soda and white vinegar etc...but I still like to keep my Lysol here for killing germs etc...I don't use it daily but still have it around. 

EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I usually use natural cleaners but twice a month I spray all touched surface with Lysol. I've found that its a good balance for keeping sickness at bay.
johnny4ever
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I cant stand the smell of vinegar

4kidz916
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I make laundry detergent, counter cleaner, and a refreshing room spray.  I also use white vinegar and baking soda often.

4kidz916
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Me too.  I drag it out when sickness is in the house. 

Quoting louannwilkins:

I use a lot of things to clean like baking soda and white vinegar etc...but I still like to keep my Lysol here for killing germs etc...I don't use it daily but still have it around. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement