Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Nesting Is the Best Thing

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:00 AM
  • 42 Replies
  • 17715 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Did you nest when you were pregnant? As a person who naturally loves to organize, I spent the bulk of my first pregnancy tidying the house and getting everything in order for the new arrival and thinking it had nothing to do with "nesting" hormones, it was simply stuff that needed to be done to be ready for the baby.

For months, I didn't think there was anything special about the way I was preparing for the new arrival--decorating the nursery, washing all the tiny clothes--but then one day, out of nowhere, I was hit with a sudden and undeniable urge to shop and cook and redecorate the entire house and especially CLEAN ALL THE THINGS, and most of what was on my giant to-do list was obviously and completely unrelated to the baby. Did the DVDs need to be realphabetized before we brought home our newborn son? No. Did I feel like they did? Oh yes. 

Finally, I understood what everyone was talking about. Nesting isn't getting ready for the baby, nesting is feeling compelled to get your whole life in order, looking and working exactly how you want it, even though you're staring down the barrell of the life event that's going to change everything forever.

So, yeah, nesting is a little bit insane, but it's also insanely awesome. Irrational as it can be, it's also genius because it helps you take care of random household tasks in the weeks before everything screeches to a halt and you have zero extra time or energy to deal with anything more complicated than brushing your teeth (and sometimes not even that).

If you experienced the nesting instinct, what did you do? Did you clean? Organize? Shop? Redecorate, or even remodel? Did you cook and/or craft? What was the craziest thing you did? (I vividly recall spending an hour cleaning seams in the cooktop with a toothpick.) 

Image © iStock.com/webking

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:28 AM

I nested with my older two something terrible! When the third one came, I was just too tired!

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Oddly enough, I never experienced this, probably because I was busy doing other things.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I did nest, and I got a lot done!

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I actually like to organize and put things "together" so to speak so I did it then and I still do it now at times.  lol  

karenbeth214
by New Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM
I started nesting off and on since 18 weeks. Now I'm 39 and I just don't wanna clean.I'm so tired most of the time.
TerriC
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I did nest.  I cleaned, organized, shopped.  (I did the toothpick thing too...around the sink as well).  I guess the craziest thing I remember is getting my stuff ready for the hospital (way over packed the 1st time) and also making snack bags for DH and my Mom so they wouldn't go hungry.  LOL.  I did a lot of cooking as well.

TerriC
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Hopefully you are getting some rest to get ready for baby!!  :-)

Quoting karenbeth214:

I started nesting off and on since 18 weeks. Now I'm 39 and I just don't wanna clean.I'm so tired most of the time.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I always knew labor was imminent because I cleaned like a crazy woman, lol.

jessicasmom1
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Yes painted her bedroom , often dusting her room 

goddess99
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I cleaned and organized. The craziest thing was I was big as a house, sitting on the floor, hand sewing curtains for my dd's room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement