Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Choosing a Car Seat

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM
  • 28 Replies
  • 18685 Total Views

I wanted the best with my first kid. And with the baby market as big as it is, sifting through all the car seat possibilities made my head spin.  I mean, have you ever read the forums about car seat safety? They will make your eyes cross. Before I made my decision I read consumer reports, crash test results, my state laws on car seat positioning and weight limits. I was confused about convertible car seat vs. infant only seats.  Which was best? What should I get?

We were on a budget so I also considered buying a seat second hand but then I worried about consumer honesty and scoured over recall lists. Basically I was a big ball of worry about my car seat decision. Typical first time mom, I know.

So I talked with a friend of mine who had already been through it and she calmed me down. She directed me here, to a site with great information about how to choose, install and place a child into a car seat.  I ended up deciding on a seat and I felt educated and secure in my decision.  

Some basic recommendations to follow are these (source):

· Select a car seat based on your child's age and size, and choose a seat that fits in your vehicle and use it every time.

· Always refer to your specific car seat manufacturer's instructions; read the vehicle owner's manual on how to install the car seat using the seat belt or LATCH system; and check height and weight limits.

· To maximize safety, keep your child in the car seat for as long as possible, as long as the child fits within the manufacturer's height and weight requirements.

· Keep your child in the back seat at least through age 12.

Where you happy with your car seat choice? What car seat do you use? Would you use it again? 

image © iStock/ WebSubstance

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I always used the Graco brand. =)

momofsixangels
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Yes we were.Back when my kids were in car seats they didnt have so many new things like they do now

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM

When my kids were infants/toddlers, there weren't as many choices as there are today.  I'd definitely pick a different one.

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Quoting MichelleK41:

I always used the Graco brand. =)

So did I!

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I am happy with the car seats we chose.  I can't remember the names, but they both have a 5 point harness and convert to booster seats and go up to 100 lbs.  My oldest is using it as a booster seat now.  He's 7 and I'm sure he could lock himself in, but I would rather do it to make sure he is in there good.  My 4 year old is still wearing the harness.  I would use them again.

pittymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM

i am content with our carseat choices. her infant seat served it's purpose, although i could've chosen a better one. her graco myride convertible is ok, but i could've picked better. 

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM

We used Graco too and were always happy with them.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM

We had a great seat.  It wasn't one of those insanely expensive ones, but a dependable model that she was able to use for several years, then it turned into a high back booster which we used for several more.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:49 AM
We used Graco. Only issue I had was the three in one seat the booster part didn't work for my son so we did have to but another seat.
louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Graco...it's what we used.  We were happy with it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN