Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Parenting Milestones

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 18319 Total Views

When I think about babies and milestones, what usually comes to mind are things like First Smile and First Tooth and First Steps. We tend to mark the passing of time during a baby's infanthood by how the baby is changing or what he or she is accomplishing--and rightly so, since babies are the heroes of their own life stories--but what we don't often think about, or record or celebrate (although we should because it's important too!), are all the milestones we're hitting as parents, especially if we're parents for the first time.

It was a huge deal, for instance, the first time I dared take my first baby to the grocery store alone. (What if he pooped? What if he cried? What if I cried?) He was almost six months old when I finally felt brave enough to attempt such a terrifying journey. My second baby? He was something like six days old. I was an old pro by then and we needed bacon, so off to the store I went. *shrug* But man, with a first baby, every first is a Big Huge Deal.

Other parenting milestones worth commemorating:

• figuring out how to swaddle the baby so he can't unwrap himself
  • giving the baby a bath without also soaking yourself in the process
  • first road trip with the baby
  • first flight with the baby
  • first date night without the baby
  • first time you stood up to a random stranger who tried to give you unsolicited assvice
  • reaching a goal of breastfeeding for a certain amount of time
  • first time you slept through the night without getting up to check on your baby, who has been sleeping through the night for weeks with no problem

Yes, our babies are growing and changing at a remarkable rate, but so are we as mothers. I think that's worth a little pat on the back, don't you?

What are some of your most memorable parenting milestones?

Image © iStock.com/morganl

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Well, there is a lot of them, but maybe it's both of their first flights.  I flew overseas with my first.  He was 4 months old.  Then the second time I flew with him, he was 18 months old and the third time I flew with him, we had another one by then who was about 12 months old, so traveling and flying with a 3 and 1 year old was quite the feat LOL.

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:12 AM

So many milestones! 

I have older kids, and some of my most memorable parenting milestones include letting go so they could take their first steps alone, watching them get on the bus for the first time as a kindergartener, watching them drive away in my car for the very first time as a licensed driver, and watching my oldest son graduate high school.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Definitely the first night they each slept in their own room, in their own bed for the first night!

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with all the listed ones. A big one for me was potty training. I was SO stressed out about it (even when she was a baby, just thinking about it stressed me out!). I actually ended up waiting a few more months after she started showing signs that she was ready, just because I wasn't. But it ended up not being bad at all! Once we got passed the first week, it was smooth sailing. And it only took 2 months for her to be fully potty trained (which wouldn't have been so long if we didn't travel in the middle of it, setting her back).

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM

So many!!  LOL  I remember the first night he slept in his room....he slept well....me not so much   lol

matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM

The most memorable for me was getting out on my own for a walk with a spirited toddler AND a colicky Newborn. I was so nervous and took way to many things with me but I did it.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Just coming home from the hospital with this tiny 5 pound infant, and being totally on my own. Hundreds of miles from family, hubby in military and had to go back to work. I was terrified, I carried her around on a pillow the first week.

jessicasmom1
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

the 1st night she was born, first tooth, first time walking ( she never crawled I was a nervous wreck), her first night asleep in her room, first bus ride to school full day alone from me, first day at the mall with friends.. your list and many more to come :-) 

arpazia
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM
First time he slept through the night:)
He was 6... Yes that was a mile stone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

i don't really have any that I can think of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN