Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Germs! Bringing Home Baby During Germ Season

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 33 Replies
  • 76617 Total Views

Germs! They are at the forefront of a new mother's worry when bringing home a new baby. I remember when I was being wheeled out of the hospital with my first born, his pacifier fell to the floor. The hospital floor.  Gah! "Throw it away", I told my husband. He said we could just sanitize it when we got home. "Oh, no. Throw it away", I demanded.

As the influx of visitors began descending on our home, I became hyper-aware of everyone else's germs. I zeroed in on everyone's runny noses or coughs. I was a bit frantic about it, actually. This was my first baby and I had been bitten by the worry bug. I remember when people at the grocery store would try and touch him on his face or hands. I mean what? Didn't they know that their germs were not wanted? Don't get me wrong, I know that people just love babies and there is a pull toward them when we see them in public. But how do I know you have washed your hands recently? How do I know you didn't just sneeze into them?  Everywhere I looked I saw germs. Admittedly I really needed to calm down. I was a bit to fanatical about the whole thing. Gotta love those protective mama bear hormones, right?

Eventually I chilled out a bit but that didn't mean that I wasn't taking steps to protect my new baby from germs. Here are some realistic things that you can do to keep your new baby as germ-free as possible in those first few weeks while their immune system strengthens. Ya know, because we can't put them in a bubble, right?

1. Tell family and friends to please stay home if they have any signs of illness.

2. Ask those that do come to visit not to kiss the baby on the face or hands.

3. If possible, breastfeed your child in those first weeks. Your germ fighting anti-bodies will pass to baby and help keep her fight off potential sickness.

4. Wash your hands. A lot.

5. Wash baby's hands, too.

6. Avoid crowed places for the first few weeks. Think malls, carnivals, family reunions etc.

What steps did you take to lesson germ exposure for your new baby? 

image © iStock/ Yuri_Arcurs

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

People that came to visit were asked to wash hands before handling the baby, and if they even had a sniffle they didn't hold at all. 

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I avoided going out in public with baby for a couple of months, and if we had to then baby was covered with a light blanket.

GypsiSky
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Only my husband, myself and our children are allowed around the new baby until the 6 week shots have been given. Everyone must wash hands and no kissing baby.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

My son was born in November, we didnt avoid going places and stay locke dup at home at all. We wash our hands often though. 

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Same here.

Quoting KelliansMom:

My son was born in November, we didnt avoid going places and stay locke dup at home at all. We wash our hands often though. 

MistressMinerva
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Great tips.

momofsixangels
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Made sure everyone used hand sanitizer

Vertical15
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I really didn't have to do anything.  All three were born in the colder seasons and we just didn't go out very much.  I never had to tell anyone to wash their hands.  People said oh I'll stay back, if they had colds.  I was lucky I guess!

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM

we made everyone wash their hands and no one who was or could be sick was allowed to hold the baby.  just normal things probably. 

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM

All of those.  Plus, have friends or family wash hands before handling baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement