Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

DS won't eat food I make

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 295 Total Views

Lately my DS (he's one) won't eat anything I make him. He LOVES fruit, peas and carrots, sandwiches (PB&J and fluffanutter-I only use 1 slice of bread and fold it in half, and grilled cheese), mac n cheese, oatmeal and applesauce, yogurt. He's willing to try new foods sometimes.

Lately, when I make dinner, he's very resisting. He won't eat anything that I make him. I sometimes make a back-up like steamed veggies and blended in baby bullet, but he won't eat that either. He wants to try and feed himself, but he ends up dumping food in his high chair and/or the floor. I try to teach him to feed himself, but he won't eat the food. I try feeding him the food himself, but he turns his head away and flaps his arms and squeals.

He IS teething. I've tried feeding him his favorite foods like oatmeal and applesauce, pears, etc. But he won't eat it either and sometimes I let him try to feed himself, but he dumps it in chair or floor.

I dont' want to feed him fruits or sugar all his life. For protein, I make chicken, turkey (ground), and pork (my DH has a beef intolerance). I will grind up the meat in a blender or cut the meat into bite size pieces so he can eat it himself. But again, throws it on the ground or in his chair.

How can I get him to eat? For some strange reason my MIL and mom can get him to eat, but he won't eat when I try to feed him nor when DH tries to feed him. I'm worried that he's not getting enough to eat at dinner. Plus, I have realized not to give him any snacks before dinner otherwise his appetite gets spoiled.

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Is it just dinner that he's refusing to eat? 

Maybe his rhythms slow way down at night and he just doesn't have an appetite.

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

If his jaws are hurting, he probably doesn't want anything solid.  You can get a lot of nutrition into a smoothie and he may like those.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Just let him feed himself and make the mess if he will eat better that way then he will learn to make less of a mess as time goes on. 

also what is your mil doing differently then you and your dh are at feeding times? maybe try what she is doing since it works. 

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I definitely agree with the above advice. My guess is that this is probably just a phase. I know my DD went through phases like this, they seemed to last a month and it was very trying. But she did eventually get over it.

Good luck!

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM

My dd is going through the same thing. She's also one. Everyday seems to be different though. Some days she eats really well & other days she just throws all of the food on the floor. My dog & cat are gonna get fat. lol. I'm assuming it's just a phase & they will out grow it at some point. Sometimes she does better if I spoon feed her so I keep yogurt on hand that I can feed her.

GypsiSky
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I have no advice on this, but hopefully you figure something out.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Are you giving him any pain meds to help with teething pain, like tylenol or motrin?

Sister_Someone
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Mine usually wouldn't either, but it's not like I blame him. I sometimes don't want to eat the food I make.

Freyjasdottir
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Since my toddler loves to read I have been able to make this work on her bad days. I will sit and read to her while she eats, if she stops eating I stop reading, its working so far.  We don't have to do this every meal but on her really stubborn days.

Also, I have stopped harping on her that she needs to eat dinner.  I make us all eat at the table (vs in front of the tv) and sit together.  She doesn't have to eat but she does have to sit there and socialize with us.  Usually if we sit and chat and take our time eating she will start to eat.  She is a very social person so making it more of a social thing vs. you have to do this has helped.

I'm the time nazi in my house, so I'm big on monitoring how much she drinks before a meal or when her last snack was.  There are days she only wants her breakfast and lunch, then there are other days when she just wants to pick vs have a meal.  I've learned it comes back around and per her doctor she is perfectly healthy and within all her ranges.  Keep trying different methods and find what works for your child.

kellynh
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM

My ds eats much much less at supper. Sometimes only 3-4 bites

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN