Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

DS won't eat food I make

Posted by   + Show Post

Lately my DS (he's one) won't eat anything I make him. He LOVES fruit, peas and carrots, sandwiches (PB&J and fluffanutter-I only use 1 slice of bread and fold it in half, and grilled cheese), mac n cheese, oatmeal and applesauce, yogurt. He's willing to try new foods sometimes.

Lately, when I make dinner, he's very resisting. He won't eat anything that I make him. I sometimes make a back-up like steamed veggies and blended in baby bullet, but he won't eat that either. He wants to try and feed himself, but he ends up dumping food in his high chair and/or the floor. I try to teach him to feed himself, but he won't eat the food. I try feeding him the food himself, but he turns his head away and flaps his arms and squeals.

He IS teething. I've tried feeding him his favorite foods like oatmeal and applesauce, pears, etc. But he won't eat it either and sometimes I let him try to feed himself, but he dumps it in chair or floor.

I dont' want to feed him fruits or sugar all his life. For protein, I make chicken, turkey (ground), and pork (my DH has a beef intolerance). I will grind up the meat in a blender or cut the meat into bite size pieces so he can eat it himself. But again, throws it on the ground or in his chair.

How can I get him to eat? For some strange reason my MIL and mom can get him to eat, but he won't eat when I try to feed him nor when DH tries to feed him. I'm worried that he's not getting enough to eat at dinner. Plus, I have realized not to give him any snacks before dinner otherwise his appetite gets spoiled.

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Replies (11-14):
Wish2Be
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Mine started getting picky at around 2...and its gotten worse now that he is turning 4....I wish I could help.

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM
We don't do a sit down dinner. My kids do better with "snacks" every 2-3 hours. Some days they eat more than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM

It's a tough phase but I would continue to offer a wide variety of foods and continue with the schedule that you are on.  My DD went through that and one day just started to eat more.  She enjoys feeding herself so I let her go at it.

mamariley915
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM

My daughter just turned 1 and I can't seem to get her to eat anything, I don't know if it's because she just made the switch from formula to milk and thinks milk is all she needs but i'm also trying to break the habit of her bottle, she knows how to drink out of a sippie cup, but when she wants a nap or goes to bed she wants her bottle. I'm struggling with this myself because when I make her food she it's very little and I end up wasting a lot of food because it's only good for 3 days tops and it will take her literally 3 days to eat all of whatever I made her. So I could maybe use some advice and tips myself because I feel like a bad mother when she won't eat, it makes me feel like my child is starving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN