Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

You're Never Too Young for Good Habits

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 36609 Total Views

There's nothing quite like seeing your baby's first smile, all gummy and gooey and soft enough to melt your heart. But all the smiles that come after that are pretty great too, and you know how to make them happen: tickles, silly songs, wearing a clean diaper on your head like a bonnet...You're also the one who can keep baby's smile healthy for years to come, and it starts even earlier than you might think.

You can start brushing baby's teeth as soon as he or she has any. Check with your pediatrician about the types of toothbrushes and toothpastes that are appropriate for your baby at different ages or stages, and then make it part of your daily routine. We made up a funny song that made toothbrushing something to look forward to rather than dread, and I'm pleased to announce that both my kids can get through the process without complaints or toothpaste smeared all over the bathroom mirrors. We've even suckered my four-year-old into thinking flossing is a special treat for when he's been an extra-good boy. Ha!

Definitely ask your pediatrician and dentist about how to care for your baby's smile, and keep in mind that feeding your little one healthy, non-sugary foods and drinks (no soda pop in the bottles, friends), also helps. We live for their smiles, so it makes sense to keep them looking their best.

Does your baby like having his or her teeth brushed? Do you have any tips or tricks to share that make it easier?

Image © iStock.com/adrian825

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:28 AM

youngest baby is 5wks old, no teeth yet. my girls were ok w/teeth brushing, but i had to be quick!

lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM

My dd never gave me a hard time with teeth brushing.  She was a very easygoing baby.

TerriC
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Both of my girls brushed their teeth from a very early age.  They'd watch us and want to do it too.

momofsixangels
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM

My kids all loved it.

jen113000
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM
My kids hate it. But they do it. No advice or tips.
ceciliam
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

My son has always loved to brush hs teeth and floss.

Mrs.Brugger
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Isabel (16mos) LOVES brushing her teeth. Whenever she sees her big brother (5yrs) brushing his teeth, she goes in and stands on the stepstool with him and he hands her her toothbrush and they brush together. I also use her toothbrush as a distraction while I do her hair =p She even says, "BRUSH!!" if we take too long getting her toothbrush for her =p

Mrs.Brugger
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

oh and my 5yo enjoys brushing his teeth so much he makes a game of brushing his teeth and washing his hands at the same time? I have no idea how or why but he comes out of the bathroom so proud of himself lol.

dusky_rose
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

You are right, starting young is best. My son loves brushing his teeth now.

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM
My dd is 14 months and hates it. I even started brushing her gums from a baby. I get it done but it is a battle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement