Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Customize Your Stroller

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM
  • 43 Replies
  • 75997 Total Views

Stroller shopping might be one of the most intimidating experiences a new parent can have. Giving birth is pretty intense, yes, but there aren't that many options for how to get the baby out. Trying to pick a stroller, on the other hand, is...overwhelming, to say the least. There are just SO MANY CHOICES.

I'm the type of person who gets it in her head that if there are hundreds of options to choose from, there must be One Right Answer that will be absolutely perfect for my needs. This is ridiculous, not to mention crazymaking, and that is why, in the throes of pregnancy and postpartum hormones, I abandoned the idea of trying to find that reasonably-priced needle in the haystack and instead just bought a few basic strollers and added accessories as I needed them.

Did you know you could do that? As soon as I saw my first clip-on cupholder, I was sold on the idea of customizing my own strollers rather than researching hundreds and hundreds of endlessly varying options trying to find the One Stroller That Would Rule Them All.

What sorts of things can you add to your stroller? Cup holders, hooks for diaper bags and/or purses, snuggly buntings to keep baby warm in winter, umbrellas and sun shades, clip-on toys for the baby, a tray that goes across baby's lap for in-stroller snacktime, zippered pouches for phones and mp3 players, weather shields, riding boards for older siblings, side bags, under-stroller storage nets, pretty much anything you can find on a stroller you can buy separately as an accessory. I even found something called "stroller links," which join two single strollers side by side to make a double stroller. Genius!

Through two kids, we've been happy as can be with our three basic strollers (a universal base that the infant carseat clips into, a cheapy umbrella stroller, and a no-frills jogging stroller) tricked out with a few accessories that fit our unique needs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't do it any other way. 

Did you buy extra accessories for your stroller? What are some of your favorites?

Image © iStock.com/jgroup

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I didn't buy any accessories; my stroller didn't need them.  I had a canopy to pull over the baby to protect them from the sun; the back laid down so they could sleep; I had a basket underneath to hold extra things.

lalasmama2007
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:15 AM

No, we didn't have or need any extras.

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Nice tips, but I hope to not be buying any more strollers.

Mom2jngnc
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM

My oldest son had a toy bar on his stroller, that was a Christmas gift. 

My 3rd son, he had a Graco stroller that was during their mix and match line, and the toys could be changed around. I never changed them. 

When we had #4 we got a sit and stand sttoller, as #3 was still in need of a ride often (he was almost 5), which turned out to be a good investment as my niece moved in with us. 

Now I never added extra's, no buntings, or rain shields, or fancu blankets.... 

goddess99
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I think the only thing I added was clip on toys.

Desirae1394
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I really didn't fret over this much. I found a car seat/stroller combo that I liked and went with it lol I still use the stroller when I need one. It's gone through my three plus 5 babysat kiddos.
Desirae1394
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Oh and I didn't get any extras.
matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I didn't buy any accessories for our stroller. It had what I needed, cup holder, canopy, large storage area below. We don't use the stroller enough to justify accessories anyway. It's mainly used for zoo/aquarium/museum trips. Otherwise we babywear one and the other walks.

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM
We bought a used stroller at a garage sale and it has lasted wonderfully through three kids. I don't worry too much about customizing it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement