Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

How Do You Soothe Teething Pain?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 33 Replies
  • 75172 Total Views

Teething is one of those milestones that, while adorable and sweet, is rough for most babies. And so, by proxy, it is hard on mom and dad, too.  Basically, teething stinks. It was so hard to see my baby in pain or uncomfortable and because that, not only were the days hard but our sleep was disturbed, too.  And since teething takes a good two years to complete (well, until 6 years old but they handle it better then) there are plenty of opportunities to try just about everything under the sun to relieve their pain and keep everyone sleeping at night. I know that I did.

Signs that your baby is teething can be pretty obvious like drooling, chewing on things, rubbing face/ jaw and swollen gums. But some signs are not as obvious like wanting to nurse all the time, biting down while breastfeeding, moodiness, pulling on the ears and refusing food. For my baby's first year, I pretty much started any investigation into symptoms by ruling out teething first. Because half the time it was teething.

As with just about everything in a baby's first year of life, though there are myths/Old Wives Tales associated with teething, too. BabyCenter reminds us that "If your baby is suffering from diarrhea, fever, or a runny nose, don't dismiss it as merely a sign of teething, especially if the symptoms persist for more than 24 hours. Even though plenty of parents swear that these symptoms seem directly related to their child's teething, there's no scientific proof that they are linked. A comprehensive analysis of 78 studies published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood in 2007, for example, found no connection between high fever and teething."

There are so many great ways to relieve teething pain. Some traditional like teething medication, frozen washcloths or teething rings. Some are lesser known like amber teething necklaces or using mesh feeders with frozen fruit or ice cubes in them.  I think every baby has a different combination of things that work to help them (and you) through teething.

So now I want to know... how did you help baby get through teething? What worked for you? 

image © iStock/ esolla

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Orajel, frozen washcloths, popsicles

momofsixangels
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

The teething tablets

Vertical15
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

We used highlands teething tablets and those little toys you can freeze (I still use those for boo-boos!)

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I'm using a baltic amber teething necklace. Heres a pic of my baby girl with her necklace.

Quen
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Like the poster above, we use an amber teething necklace. :) (Ignore DD's weird face, lol.)

TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Good advice!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:57 AM

ADORABLE!!!!

Quoting Quen:

Like the poster above, we use an amber teething necklace. :) (Ignore DD's weird face, lol.)

matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Teething Tablets for when it's at it's very worst. Cold washrags, cuddles, a sippy of cold water, and lots of cuddles

Bmat
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM

A cold washcloth.

Quen
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thank you. :)

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

ADORABLE!!!!

Quoting Quen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement