Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

The Hospital: Your Home Away from Home?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM
  • 37 Replies
  • 71557 Total Views

I'm a big fan of giving birth in a hospital, and not just because I'm also a big fan of epidurals. (BEST.) Like many others, I felt fortunate to experience labor and childbirth surrounded by a team of skilled and caring professionals rather than, like, in the back of a covered wagon coming across the prairie, but another major plus in the hospital-birth experience for me was the postpartum support I received from the staff during those intense first hours and days with a newborn.

I had two long but relatively uncomplicated childbirth experiences, and even though I was high as a kite on endorphins for a good stretch of time and had the help of a rockstar partner, my body and brain had still just gone through a Major Ordeal and, to put it nicely, I didn't really have any idea what I was doing with a baby. It was reassuring to have a nurse come in now and then to not only give me a pain pill and a stool softener but to also suggest that, hey, my baby might need a new diaper, and would I like to do it myself or should she be granted the honor? I know not everyone is so lucky, but I had wonderful nurses during my hospital stays and was more than happy to take advantage of their help and advice on everything from swaddling to breastfeeding. Plus, they let us keep a bottle of champagne in their fridge, which was awful nice of them.

Staying at the hospital when you've just had a baby shouldn't really be compared to spending a few days at a resort spa, but...it sorta kinda can be like that, in its way, especially if you can focus on the lay-in-bed-all-day part and ignore the whole cafeteria food situation. When it came time for us to leave the hospital after my first son was born, I was honestly sad to leave. Taking care of a baby is so much easier when you can push a button and an expert will appear at your door in thirty seconds flat. Plus: free diapers.   

Hospital experiences vary wildly, as do labor and birth experiences themselves, and I imagine that has a lot to do with how long people stay in the hospital once the baby is born. I have friends whose babies were in the NICU for days, weeks, or even months and couldn't wait to get home because it was a sign their little one had become healthy enough to do so. It was the same with mothers who needed some extra medical attention themselves; they just wanted to get home. When my second son was born, even I was out of the hospital after 24 hours, not because I wasn't enjoying the pampering of the nursing staff but because I had another kid out there I want to go home to. 

If you had your baby in a hospital or birthing center, what was your postpartum experience like? How soon did you bring your baby home? Were you eager to get out of the hospital or did you wish you could have stayed just a little bit longer under the care of experts?

Photo © iStock.com/Mishatc

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:09 AM
I was ready to leave twenty min after my son was born. I hated our room I felt confined and it had that hospital smell.
goddess99
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I loved the hospital we were at. The care and even food was excellent. I was there for almost a week, my dd was in Nicu for a few days. We were happy to get home though.

kellynh
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I had a c section. I loved my call button. I stayed 2 days, but should have been 3days

lalasmama2007
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I had my dd early Friday evening and we brought her home on Sunday afternoon.  The hospital was nice, but I was bored there and couldn't wait to leave.

Bambooflute
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I just had a hard time for breastfeeding,it was unhappy experience at first and I had fever for several times,it seemed to be all settled after three months.my little one is nearly six months and now I enjoy breastfeeding just much better!

jen113000
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM
I had both of my babies in a hospital. My oldest I was a bit scared to go home but wanted to go home lol. My youngest I was ready to go home the next day haha. I missed my oldest being part of why I wanted to go home. I stayed the typical amount of days that I was required to and my babies came home with me thankfully.
TerriC
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM

With my first daughter, I was in the hospital for two nights.  The nursing staff was amazing.  They were so helpful and just all around wonderful.  I had my own (big) room and it was nice, I admit it.  :-)  My second daughter was born 361 days later.  Same room, same staff, but this time, I was only in for one night.  I guess it was just a little easier the second time around and I did want to get back to my oldest daughter, I wanted to be home before her 1st Birthday which I did by 2 days.

RobynS
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I had a horrible experience with my doctor when I had my son, but the nursing staff was FABULOUS. I ended up having a c-section and appreciated the care I got afterwards. Would gave enjoyed my 3-day stay a bit more except for the darned plastic sheet thing on the bed. It made me sweat like crazy! Ugh!

With my daughter, I only stayed 2 days. Loved my doctor. Nursing staff was okay, but not as good as the first time around. I was ready to go home. :)

aneela
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM

i stayed the 3 days with my son and then came home...had one rotten nurse and one jerk male employee but overall everything was ok enough

ceciliam
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I had my own suite and was there from Monday evening until Saturday afternoon. The room was great and the staff was great but I was ready to go home the next day but I couldn't since I had a c-section.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement