Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Five Ideas for Baby's First Halloween

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies
  • 74439 Total Views

First holidays are so special. My first born came along in May so by Halloween he was a plump and silly 5 month old. I'll admit that I had been planning his Halloween costume since before he was actually born. I LOVE Halloween.  I always have and I love making costumes even though I can't sew. So I was ready to put together an adorable little doggy costume for my adorable (I mean, he WAS!) little dude.

But then, it occurred to me that I had no idea what to do with him on Halloween. He wasn't old enough to participate in anything like Trick or Treat or Halloween parties for kids. So my heart sank a bit. When the heck was I gonna get to dress him up and celebrate his first ever Halloween?

After my gut reaction to just throw in the towel and wait until the next year, I had an idea. And then another. And then another.  We had SO much we could do to celebrate his first big holiday! I just needed to think outside the box. Looking back, his first Halloween was my favorite so far because we made it our own and celebrated the milestone properly.

So I thought I'd share a list of some of those things we did. Just in case you were looking for some fun ideas for your infants this Halloween. Ya know, since begging for Snickers door to door isn't a viable option.

1. Go ahead and carve a bunch of pumpkins. Put all the guts into a big bowl and let baby have fun squishing and playing in the mess. Bath time to follow, of course. Bonus:  It's ok if some pulp comes to the lips because, it's actual food!  Win.

2. Take them out on a Trick or Treat walk. You don't have to go door to door to beg for candy to enjoy Trick or Treat. Go out in your neighborhood and see all the littles dressed up and enjoy the crisp Fall air. Bonus: exercise

3. Spread some Halloween cheer. Dress up your baby and go have lunch at a senior center or nursing home. Bring your friends and their babies, too. Bonus: You will bring joy to so many people who are forgotten on this holiday.

4. Go to the zoo. Call your local zoo! So many zoos do special Halloween events (Ours is called Boo at the Zoo!) where they invite families to bring their kids dressed in costume. Bonus: The animals are always more animated in the evening.

5. Photo shoot! Fall is such a beautiful time of year. No need for professional photography! Nature is gorgeous enough to create the perfect back drop! Place baby on a blanket on the ground and then add leaves around baby for a leaf pile effect. Let baby explore the crunchy goodness of nature while you snap away on the camera. Bonus: Perfect pictures for free!

How did you celebrate baby's first Halloween? What was your baby's first Halloween costume? 

image © iStock/ BenLin

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Bumble bee, we took her out trick or treating and DH and I both dressed up and took pictures as the sun was setting.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this

cute! we just take pics......costumes have been chili pepper and ladybug

strictmomhere
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids all were pumpkins for there first lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
esox
by Laura on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm so excited for next Halloween. I want to carve a pumpkin and sit my baby inside for some cute pictures. What if baby doesn't like it? Bonus: Adorable screaming baby pictures! (And probably a headache). Wait until baby is sleeping and try again. Lol
matt_sara_mom
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I did a photo shoot thing with my 2yo and used a bag of candy as props for some! He had fun and I got some beautiful pictures. Then we visited several of the apartments in our building to deliver little bags of candy for the few little ones that lived there.

dusky_rose
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My first baby and her little brother the first Halloween we did trick or treating together. I didn't take her out when she was a baby because she was only 1 month old.

la_bella_vita
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Cute ideas : )

We celebrated by being first halloween shirts and halloween costumes. My in-laws have a big family dinner on halloween where anyone is welcome to attend

RobynS
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM

My kids are December and November babies, so they were nearly a year old by Halloween. They didn't trick or treat at that age, but we dressed them up and took pics.

jen113000
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I took them trick or treating with family. My oldest was a lion and my youngest was a monkey.
elasmimi
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM

My dd was a pink pig, so cute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement