Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Baby-proofing: Yea or Nay?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 41 Replies
  • 74749 Total Views

I remember the fun of registering for baby gear--*pew pew pew* went the barcode scanner as if I were in an intergalactic gun fight--and I also remember silence of my stupor when we turned down the safety aisle and were confronted with product after product after product advertising the many ways in which my baby would try to injur himself. Padded edging for furniture! Toilet locks! Moby, the blue whale faucet cover, so my kid doesn't brain himself during Tubby Time! It all felt like way too much, but it also felt...necessary? Maybe? At the very least, it felt irresponsible to not buy safety gear, for surely to deny that the safety asile existed altogether would be like asking for my baby to get bonked on the head/electrocuted/carried off by large birds of prey, right? So goes the mother's brain...

What ended up happening was that I was so overwhelmed by the number and variety and cost of safety products that my husband and I agreed to just skip the category entirely, figuring we'd have plenty of time to baby-proof before we actually needed it. Then, as it turned out, we didn't actually need any baby-proofing with my first son, who, even as an infant, was surprisingly respectful of boundaries and only needed to be told "no-no" once. Eventually we bought some outlet covers and installed exactly one drawer lock that promptly broke, but we passed on everything else and were fine, just fine. We laughed at all the suckers who waste the time, effort, and money on baby-proofing.

And then my second son was born.

At fifteen months old, his hobbies include belly-flopping off the coffee table, running toward electrical outlets with a fork (I do not know where he got the fork, so don't ask), and dreaming up cocktail recipes using ingredients found in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. So this is why the oven has a Lock setting. So this is why people bolt furniture to the walls. So this is why baby gates. Here's a kid who would benefit from being confined in a toddler-sized gerbil ball. At last I understand why the safety aisle makes sense.

What's your approach to household safety gear? Is your home baby-proofed or do you manage without it (or did you find a toddler-sized gerbil ball, in which case leave the link in the comments)?

Photo © iStock.com/janthonymartinez

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I did some things here&there!

johnny4ever
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM

WE baby proofed!

mrswillie
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I only baby proof electrical outlets and use baby gates.

wandep
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM

We did a little bit around the house.

Mom2jngnc
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

It was here and there. 
With DS # 1 outlet covers, a gate to keep him from the kitchen, and make sure the bathroom door stayed shut. He was easy going.

Ds #2 we rented. Gate to keep him from going down the stairs (we had an old wooden door at the top), outlet covers. He was the climb  up on the back of the couch and sit there to look out the window. The "oh look the books are on the shelf,not anymore"kid.

Ds #3 we owned our home! Baby gate to keep him out of the kitchen (dog food) and off the stairs going upstairs, outlet covers, kept the mini blind cords wrapped in a creative manner around the window lock, I think I had a cabinet lock under the sink. Then that may have been more for the boy I was watching. 

ds #4.... Oh Lord! He was 1 of a kind! We had to buy door knob covers for him. He learned how to UNLOCK them, and open them at 25 month. We still only did here and there. He's the one who whacked himself on the underside of my diningroom table standing up too soon, and fell into my coffee table..... 

jen113000
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Same here.

Quoting mrswillie:

I only baby proof electrical outlets and use baby gates.

lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

We did some baby proofing, but we didn't go overboard with it.

goddess99
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I baby proofed.

TerriC
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

When my kids were babies, we had the plug covers, gates by the stairs, things so they couldn't open doors or the toilet etc.

virginiamama71
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM

this

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I did some things here&there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement