Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Let's Talk Baby Monitors

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 33 Replies
  • 74886 Total Views

Do you remember the first night you put baby to bed and tip-toed out of the room and stood on the other side of the door listening? Did you go back in after 90 seconds like I did? And then again two minutes later? Ok, be honest how many times did you stare at baby's chest and belly and just watch their breathing? If I had to take a guess, I probably "checked" on the baby a good 30 times a night in the beginning. And we co-sleep so that means that I did all my checking in the few hours between baby's bedtime and mine. Yeah, I was a bit of a nervous first time mom.

Sure, we had a baby monitor but it was a static-y walkie-talkie type model that wasn't much better than the original 1980's model. Looking back I should have just bought the fancy video monitor that my husband talked me out of because it was, in his words, ridiculous. He might have said something like "Dude, c'mon. We are not spending a day's pay for a video monitoring system to watch him sleep just fine".  I thought differently but conceded that I might have been guided by my raging hormones and so I didn't wage that battle.

But looking back, it would have been nice. The peace of mind would have taken a bit of stress away from being a new mom. Sure, maybe some see it as frivolous spending but man, if there is a time to do that maybe it's when you are learning how to adjust to and care for a new human being for the first time. Can I get an AMEN?!

So if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought that video monitor. Maybe just maybe I would have had a chance to sit down for more than five minutes at a time in those first few months with a new baby. Heck, I might have even been able to watch a TV show after bedtime.  Well, I probably would have just slept through a TV show but you get the point.

What did you use for a baby monitor? What would you recommend to a new mom for her baby registry? 

image © iStock/ rossario

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

We got an angel care monitor at my baby shower that had the mat that goes under the crib mattress for movement of the baby... but never used the mat and only used the actualy monitor a few times. The one part has to be charged and I lost the cord :/. I'm sure it's around here somewhere though...

Also have a Summer brand monitor that I use more often but not the parent part of that needs new batteries, so haven't used a monitor in a few weeks because of that. Got the summer brand monitor on clearance at target before dd got here :).

wandep
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

It's been so long ago I don't remember. It was just a basic one tho. They are very handy to have.

MalloryR
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM
My MIL actually bought us the fancy video monitors, but they were annoying to use, so we bought the standard monitors and love them.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

angelcare

othermom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I used the baby moniter at night and sometimes during the day. It was nice to have it

Hottmomma607
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I don't remember? I think Safety 1st?

Mznaye
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I didnt use a monitor. I winged it
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I had the standard walkie talkie kind from my sister.  Our house is small and I used it in the beginning but I could pretty much hear her in whatever room she was in.  I loved peeping in her room and checking in on her so I stopped using the monitor.

Lilfootmommy
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM
We had a video one but we sold it dhs brother so he could use it as a security camera lol. We only used the other monitor when we went outside to smoke because he slept in our room for the first few months
Anita1981
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM

We originally got an Angelcare monitor, just the audio monitor...not the one with the movement sensor that goes under the mattress.  It's been a fnatastic monitor with great range, etc. 

We recently bought a video monitor so that I could see whether I really need to go in his room or not.  I wish I would have gotten a video monitor from the start...it would have been so nice.  We've had a hard time finding a video monitor that has good range like the Angelcare audio, but we've found a Motorola monitor that works fairly well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement